• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX 60 anybody got one yet

Soldato
:confused:
surely theres a better use for 800 quid
Even if i had the money no way would i spend it on an FX chip unless i had phase or very high end water to back it up.

Associate
If you haven't got any useful input to the topic - then don't give it!

We've heard it all before, its a premium chip with a (extremely) premium price, we all know the "I've already got an FX60 because I've overclocked my 4400\4800".

Please don't patronise everyone we all know your not "informing" anyone.

Why? :confused:

Soldato
Hernald said:
If you haven't got any useful input to the topic - then don't give it!

We've heard it all before, its a premium chip with a (extremely) premium price, we all know the "I've already got an FX60 because I've overclocked my 4400\4800".

Please don't patronise everyone we all know your not "informing" anyone.

Why? :confused:

Trying to save him some money, unlike your post which is just having a go at me and guess what. It isnt helping the OP in any way. :mad:

Or maybe you posted that because you wasted your money? :rolleyes: ;)

As for being patronising, i am asking why he wants to spend so much when an opteron 170/4800+ is avalable for much less and will do similar clocks on air. (not like an extra 100-150mhz is worth 200 quid).

So wheres your helpful input on this topic? And what will you be informing people about?

Last edited:
Associate
Raikiri said:
:confused:
surely theres a better use for 800 quid
Even if i had the money no way would i spend it on an FX chip .

there in that sentence lies your problem you haven't got the money :p

i want my products to run fast and very stable out of the box try running

games like half-life2 with your clocked cpu's it hates the things

and remember one mans £800 is another mans £80 you either buy it or you

dont it's your choice :)

and the other thing is the fx55 i had went pop so got a full refund so thought

it would be rude not to put the extra towards the fx60 :D :D

Soldato
I dont see not having it as a problem, like i said i wouldnt spend if i did have enough (which i have done before)
I regularly play half life 2 on my clocked CPU, which is where the problem lies in your post.
£93 and I get the performance of a £250 cpu, and as for "out of the box" changing the BIOS settings took all of 2 minutes.

Soldato
mpy32 said:
i want my products to run fast and very stable out of the box try running games like half-life2 with your clocked cpu's it hates the things

Huh? It doesn't hate clocked CPUs, it hates unstable CPUs. My overclocked system plays HL2 just fine. There's nothing to say that a clocked rig will be unstable and a stock rig will be stable. Remember that all these CPUs are made on the same core and are just sorted into categories. There's nothing magic about stock.

But... some people just want things to work, so they pay £800. Others are happy to fiddle, so they get something just as good for £250 :D

Associate
i agree with raikiri on this. there is no reason not to get something cheaper which does the same job at the same level. i mean it makes more sense to drive a car which is economical for example. it doesnt need to do 0-60 in 3 seconds, but there will always be people who want the best, so they get sports cars etc. but there is also a lot of people who tune up their cars and mod them just like pc's, so why not just get the most bang for buck and spend money on other things which will improve it or something else more?

p.s long winded i know >.>

Caporegime
Got to agree with the majority in this thread.I have the money for the fx 60 but spend that on a cpu?

No

I plumped for an opteron 170 have gained great satisfaction in tweaking it to 2.6ghz
So its running like an FX 60 for 300 quid.

Theres something just not right IMO about spending that kind of money on a chip.I mean Your FX 60 will be no better than mine at all in performance.

And I save 500 big ones :D

Plus there is more satisfaction to come when I tweak some more take my opteron 170 to 2.7ghz and have a faster cpu than an fx 60 and that will be just as stable.

Its not because I havent got the money,There is a big difference than spending money and wasting money unnecessarily.

Its like walking into a car showroom and seeing two cars.
They look the same perform the same are by the same manufacturer but one costs 5 grand more than the other.

Anyone would buy the cheaper and spend the rest on something else.

Last edited:
Associate
If I had the money I'd buy one. It's basically the most clockable AMD dual core out there at the moment.

I'm sure people who've got the kind of money to buy an FX60 don't need any advice on managing it. ;)

Caporegime
Kesnel said:
If I had the money I'd buy one. It's basically the most clockable AMD dual core out there at the moment.

I'm sure people who've got the kind of money to buy an FX60 don't need any advice on managing it. ;)

not true there are opty 170's with the stepping 0530 that have been doing 3ghz on low vcore on air.

Initial tests of the FX60 have been tested to 2.8-2.9ghz on air.
This is what I have been reading about the FX60

Associate
easyrider said:
not true there are opty 170's with the stepping 0530 that have been doing 3ghz on low vcore on air.

Initial tests of the FX60 have been tested to 2.8-2.9ghz on air.
This is what I have been reading about the FX60

This is true, however you'll be very lucky to find one of those excellent steppings.

With all CPUs the clockability is hit and miss, though with the FX you're going to get a fair few more hits than you are misses. You also get the advantage of an unlocked multi.

Sure, it's not a viable purchase for everyone, I just don't it's all that fair for people be berated for buying one. Particularly if they have no intention of overclocking; something that not everyone is comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly one of the "buy cheap and clock it up" camp, I'm just saying that if I could afford to part with that amount of money I'd buy one. :)

Associate
Kesnel said:
Sure, it's not a viable purchase for everyone, I just don't it's all that fair for people be berated for buying one. Particularly if they have no intention of overclocking; something that not everyone is comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly one of the "buy cheap and clock it up" camp, I'm just saying that if I could afford to part with that amount of money I'd buy one. :)

Wise words matey ;) :)

Back
Top Bottom