Buying a digicam in Hong Kong?

Associate
Hi, I will be going to Hong Kong for a holiday soon and was thinking about buying a digital camera there. Anyone bought one from there? Is it cheaper?

Thanks.

Associate
Hi,

I spent a week there in November. I would be extremely wary of buying any high value electrical goods there. The prices in the "chain" stores are slightly lower than here, but IMHO the saving (3-5%) is not worth the risk.

The independant stores all seem to be out to rip you off. One offered me an IR remote for my D70 for ~£70. The same thing can be bought her for £15.

The other thing to remember is that their consumer protection laws are much weaker than here. Basically once you have the product and they have your cash their is no obligation on them to do anything...

If you are interested here are a few pictures:-

http://www.pbase.com/brycheiniog/hong_kong

I was there for work, so did not have much free time during the day...

Jonathan

Associate
If you don't know what you're doing, then you may be ripped off at any time :)
I got my d50 kit for the same price as here (Nikon gives worldwide warranty), but got a better lens, camera bag and 1 gig sd card in the price.

If you want Nikon stuff, I know where to get the best prices :)

Its all about haggling too!

For camera stuff, prices are much better than here (not from the chain stores though). I've been there too many times and speak the lingo so it may be a bit easier for me.

Associate
You sure chez? Cos my d50 has worldwide warranty stamped all over the literature and things, although I did get mine through the nikon HK distributor :)

Soldato
Brycheiniog said:
Hi,

, but IMHO the saving (3-5%) is not worth the risk.

Jonathan

I think that you must have missed the places to find the bargains. A friends sister lives and works in HK, and he reckons that he can save at least 30% on UK high street prices.

Worldwide guarantees tend to mean that It doesn't matter where you take the goods, but if you want it fixed you will have to return it to the market of origin (at least that was true for the Canon USA Worldwide warantee we got). So you should have a saftey net, but it is annoying to have to post stuff half way round the world to get a fix. (I've never had to do this though). If you are a member of the CPS though you might get a better deal with the warantee...

Back
Top Bottom