Quitting Alcohol & Fitness

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for personal experiences on this one.

I'm 24 year of age and have been drinking since I was 17. I'd go out 1-4 times a week and have anything from 7-10 pints and loads of spirits.

I'm slightly overweight (bit of a beer belly) however I do heavy cardio training 3-4 times a week and some free weight's 1-2 nights a week.

I quit drinking on the 2nd of January and have been off it completely for 16 days now. I've started to notice that I'm more capable of completing the heavy training session over the past week or so.

My question is, how quickly can I expect to see results now that I've cut out alcohol? ie. Weight loss, bigger muscles & smaller beer belly.

Feedback appreciated

PS. I'd consider my diet to be balanced.

Associate
Ive done exactly the same and I notice dropping half a stone within a week. I think it was just fluid retention though, i've slowly been dropping a pound a week but my fitness is quite suberb now. Good luck :)

Soldato
there is no set time limit that you'll suddenly begin to notice changes, you may not notice any changes for a few months or it might even be a few weeks. But I'd say because you are doing heavy cardio 3-4 times a week, that it won't be long before you see some weight dropping off. You'll need to improve your diet as well as exercise to see dramatic improvements though. It sounds like you've already noticed a difference since cutting the booze now that you are able to complete your heavy training sessions. This is a step forward and this should encourage you to keep it up. Drink plenty of water to cleanse your system as well as during exercise to keep yourself fully hydrated. There is a fantastic sticky at the top of the sports forum that will help you out as well. Here. :p

Associate
OP
zain said:
The joys of not drinking :)

It really isn't that bad once you've got more than a few days. Then the temptation reduces considerably.

One massive thing I've noticed is the amount of money I've say. It's unbelievable, if I was to say off drink for February I'd say I'd ave saved €1800 over the two months :eek:

Plus I'll have the health benefits to boot!

Soldato
ErinGoBrath said:
I'd say I'd ave saved €1800 over the two months :eek:

woah there!! €1800! thats around £1200!!! holy mother.... 2 months! £600 a month on drinking, thats incredible! you must be buying all the rounds as well, I know the drinks are more expensive in Dublin than they are up here in the North but....

I've got a paypal account if you want to donate some money to me now you have extra cash flowing from your wallet ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom