Improve my line stats?

Nem

Nem

Associate
I've just been trying to improve my line stats. Over the weekend with a couple of changes I've got it from 53 att / 17 noise to 52 / 23. With the calculator to try and estimate the possible max speed I've gone from 2.5mb line to 4.8mb line.

This has been done by plugging my router directly into the filter which is in the master socket and not via the 2 extension leads and surge procector I had before. I have also bought a Belkin high speed internet modem cable from the filter to the router which also dropped the noise margin 0.5 of a db which don't sound much but added 200 - 300k to the max line speed.

I've got a really old master socket in the house, like over 25 years old. We had a new telegraph pole and new wire from that to the house in the last year. The wire when it enters the house is new but then goes into a oval shaped box which will also be 25+ years old. From that there is another very old length of wire to the socket.

Would there be any gain by having that oval box, old wire and old socket all replaced with new wire, nte5 socket and filtered face plate?

If so how could I go about having it replaced?

Thanks

Nick

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
I've just emailed you the pics, they are on my own server and today was my migration from pipex to bulldog. Got to set up my domain name for the dynamic ip now.

Thanks

Nick

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
Well I did emal you the pics but hotmail has returned it with a Relay Access Denied error. Just tried another and it sent it back again.

The above pic links may work now tho, zone edit has the correct IP now which I updated yesterday and I'm running their dynamic dns updater software.

Thanks

Nick

Edit - does also help if I point http ports to my server on my router after I reset it yesterday. Idiot - slaps himself!

Last edited:
Associate
Get a BT ( has the little BT sign) master socket with removable face plate suitable for the replacement with a filtered face plate. put this where ever most suitable and then run a 2 cable wire from the incoming cable to either A or B connection of the Master socket ( it don't much matter which) You may be able to directly replace the OVAL connector with a New master socket. Naturally one would then run a direct cable to ones puter/router

more info here:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm
Off course BT would not approve of any changes to Their Master socket

Last edited:

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
I've already thought of just getting a socket myself and taking out the oval box and old socket. But I also have been told and read that it's illegal to play with the bt kit. So am a bit stuck really.

Nick

Soldato
If you are doing the job, make sure you know how to do it and you are sure the results at the end will be good cause if you have to call a BT guy out to fix it, he'll give you a right ticking off and most likely a £100+ call out fee.

BT folk don't like fixing other peoples failed work.

If you know a sparky, get him to do it for you.

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
So I basically can't take out the old socket, manky wire and oval box and put my own NTE5 on the new wire coming into the house and mount it where the oval box was?

I suppose the question still is that is the manky wire, old socket and manky oval box causing any degrading of the line in regards to the adsl snyc speed? This is in relation to the fact I've just moved to Bulldog 1Mb line while waiting for the LLU 8Mb line in the next 2 months. So I'm not trying to improve my line to go from 1Mb to 2Mb as I know thats not going to happen, but the speed I'll be syncing at when moving to 8Mb.

Nick

Last edited:

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
Well I can't exactly see the path it takes but the distance along the walls in the shortest route will make it 5-6 meters, but may be more depending on how it's routed.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom