• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HD ready graphics card

Associate
Hi,
i just done a quick search and couldnt really find anything. Just wondering if the latest graphics card were HD ready? More specifically the 7800gtx 512MB. I dont really want to spend £400 on a gfx card and not be able to use HD feature in the future.

Thanks.

Soldato
hd is just a resolution setting. 720p for example is just 1280 x 720 (widescreen) .

So any card can work at that res but its just depending on what card and game to get good performance. A 7800 though will run any game at high res very well.

Soldato
HD Ready?

What do you mean, the video output from the card, or if the card will actually play at that resoultion?

If it's the first, then the entire ATi X1xxx series have HD output as far as i know.

Soldato
Virtually any graphics card is. Don't be taken in by the fancy naming, it's just a resolution. It might be high res for a tv or a games consol but it's nothing that computers haven't been doing for years :p ...so yea the GTX will be fine.

Associate
Although graphics cards produce HD images to a PC monitor they do not come under the HD logo due to the lack of HDMI connection or DVI with HDCP (both connections actually) as required by the studios to avoid video piracy (encryptions system).

A video card with an inbuilt HD tuner will have both these connections, infact it's my guess that all future generations with have these inputs and outputs to enable HD on non PC displays either through broadband or HD DVD or blu Ray. They won't work unless the video cards have these connections and the proper encryptions.

If you are desperate for HD, then wait until the generation appears (should be 2006) that will allow you to connect your PC, show HD content on all displays.

Associate
OP
so this HD protection only really makes a difference if you plan to watch HD movies? if you just plan to play games with ru gfx it doesnt matter whether it has this HDMI or not because PC games can already running at HD resolution?

Back
Top Bottom