• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silent Graphics Card

Associate
I'm intending to do another of my regular upgrades to my PC, and the overhaul is going to take in the graphics card and the monitor. My current setup is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm
Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe
2x Corsair 512MB DDR Value Select PC3200
Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA
Antec SLK1650B Case
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
Sun 21" CRT
Logitech Mouse & Keyboard

I'm planning to change my PSU, my Gfx card and my monitor; and I figured I'd appeal for help with the Gfx card part of this.

My mobo only has an AGP slot, so no PCI-E goodness for me! I'm not a massive gamer, but do like to be able to play the occasional FPS, and play World of Warcraft regularly.

However, the main consideration is noise. My 9600 Pro has had the factory fan removed and I have fitted a gold plated heatpipe cooler to it, thus rendering it silent. Any replacement has to be the same, silent. I'm happiest with a passively cooled card designed as such, but don't mind removing fans and adding heatpipes if I really must.

Budget wise, I have up to about £120 to spend on it.

The last consideration is that I'm planning to change my PSU to a FSP Zen silent PSU (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/FSP__Sparkle_.html) so the gfx card mustn't be too power hungry for a relatively low powered system.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Associate
Gigabyte do fanless 6600GT cards for roughly that price - can't give you any links though, as OcUK don't stock them. I've got a PCIe one, but I'm pretty sure they do them in AGP as well.

Soldato
Look for a 6800 with artic cooling 2nd hand. I have a 6800GT with one, and its almost silent. As for new, I think a 6600 is about the best you'll find. There's a X800XL with artic cooling, but i think its a little over your budget.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Where would you recommend for a second hand card? I'm not sure that I entirely trust e-bay for that sort of thing.

Is the 6600GT ok? I don't know much about the state of gfx cards these days.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
use ebay to procure a Gigabyte 6800nu... thats the fastest passive unless the x800 has been made passive ( I think gigabyte were working on this)

There is the Gigabyte X800XL GV-RX80L256V which is silent.
but may be over budget.

Back
Top Bottom