Value Ram and Overclocking

Permabanned
I'm going to be upgrading my pc this week and was going to buy an opteron 144 and 1GB of corsair ram. Now that the price of the opterons have gone up i'm going to get 1GB of value ram as i'm on a budget. Could I use this ram to overclock the opteron if I use a divider. Will there be any performance loss from using the value ram instead of corsair?

As the prices have gone up I might get a opteron 146 instead as theres only £6 difference, is this better for overclocking or should I still get a 144.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Hi there, i have 1gb (2x512mb sticks) of crucial value pc3200 and i have just had mine up to 250mhz @3-3-3-5 1T @ 2.8v 1:1 and overclocking my cpu to 2.750ghz (11x250) with no issues at all. I would'nt like to leave it at that all the time though and have now reset to the same as in my siggy. I only did it to get the most i could at 3dmark06.

Soldato
Value RAM is an excellent partner to an AMD64 chip.

Memory speed or latency has very little effect on this platform, as long as you get the CPU speed up (onboard memory controller).

I only run my memory @ 213 Mhz (albeit tight timings) and to clock it higher, I have to drop my CPU overclock, which hurts the system more than the increased memory clock.

Back
Top Bottom