Insurance - Dont understand something...

Associate
I've been playing around with different quotes in my name on elephant.co.uk with reasonably high powered cars - Celica GT4s, 200SXs etc

Now, they all come out at ~£2300 for 12months fully comp (with me as 21 with 0NCB) but as soon as I add both my parents to the quote as named drivers (me still as primary obviously), it goes down to £1550ish....that's a £750 saving! Why is that? Granted they're both retired and both have their own cars, no accidents in last 3 years etc but I dont understand why it saves ME £750 just by naming them on the quote.

Ok so they could drive my car, but if I didnt want them to do that, could I not just put them on there without informing them? Hence getting my insurance £750 cheaper?

Am I missing something?

Soldato
They are taking into account that your parents will be driving the car for a % of the time, as they're less of a risk than you that's why it reduces the cost :)

Quite a lot of companies do it and it's completely legal :)

Soldato
If you have tried elephant i recommend admiral and bell direct, all part of the same company IIRC and have the same lay out as elephant.co.uk(which is by far the best IMO) but between the 3 its touch and go for the cheapest quote, depending on the car.

Your question has been answered in the above posts so not much more to add.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
My dad doesn't even live with me but hes reducing my quote :)

Hes only driven my car once, when I got it so he could have a blast. To be fair some stuff happened which means I don't see him that often so he doesn't get to drive the car.

Suspended
moss said:
Admiral took at least £500 off when I added my mother, seems a win win situation, she can occasionally use my car and I get cheaper insurance.

Again, IF the resultant price was less than what someone else offers.

Another case in point, norwich union offer 50% off for pass plus drivers - the cost of the original cover? Over twice what I pay with tesco.

Dont be fooled by gimmicks, but if you do find a genuine bargain then well done :)

Man of Honour
My parents reduced my policy. There, is unfortunately, a bad side to this.

They borrow the Mondeo when they want to buy something that needs a roofrack :(

Soldato
It depends on the insurer - Elephant & Admiral, for example, reduced the premium with my parents as named drivers but it went up with Endsleigh!

I'd recommend Endsleigh - they were the cheapest for me (even after the reductions after adding my parents to the other policies), helpful and so far (touch wood) my claim with them is going through without a hitch

Soldato
Same for me. I got quoted £650 on a Civic VTi (I'm 23, no NCB, no claims though). I added my mum who has many years of NCB and it got dropped to £535 :) - that was with Elephant.

Back
Top Bottom