Does this seem like a good idea?

Soldato
I feel like I should change to some new hdd's, as I've had my current two for a fair few years now. I recently used some WD drives at work, and they seem to be good (nice and quiet and quick).

So, I fancy buying two of the Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache drives at £75 a piece.

Would the setup of my system (see below) be a sensible layout? Is it a good idea where I've decided to put the pagefile? (i.e. different drive, different partition).

HDD.jpg

C&C welcome! Thanks for any help!! ;)

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

I wasn't sure on the space, I just quickly split it 50/50. Hmm, the idea of perhaps a Raptor is interesting for Windows + Programs. Perhaps the slightly bigger 74Gb if I could stretch the budget? I understand these are quiet(er) than the smaller version? Would I see a more beneficial increase?

I currently have an old 60Gb IDE drive for my Windows + Programs (split 30Gb a piece) so the 74Gb Raptor would allow for ~5Gb more which is ok I guess.

So, would you suggest Disk 1 is replaced with a 74Gb Raptor (I'll still partition it though)?

:)

Permabanned
Having a 10k Raptor instead of a RAID0 array for your OS partition is better imo as windows benefits greatly from the low Random Access as it constantly has to access many little files.

Personally I would get a Raptor (partition it into at least 2 partitions (5-10Gb C))
then get an IBM/Hitachi 250Gb as storage.

Associate
Seconded on the Raptor, i've got my o/s programs and games on it ( plus 200gig second drive for storage ) and haven't looked back.
As for noise between the 2 I haven't seen anything that says the 74gig is much quieter that the 37 gig one.

Babyface UK

Associate
As for noise between the 2 I haven't seen anything that says the 74gig is much quieter that the 37 gig one.

I have seen that mentioned many times, 74 gig is supposed to be quieter - though I have no experience of either

Soldato
Firegod:

I would certainly go for a 74GB Raptor for Windows and Programs, BUT I don't think you need to use the whole 74GB just for them! I would partition it as, 10GB for Windows, 10 for programs, and the remaining 54GB for Games. The games being installed on the Raptor will run better than on the slower 250GB HDD.

Then partition your large slower HDD into 2 equal partitions of 125GB each for storage etc.

Soldato
OP
jbloggs said:
Firegod:

I would certainly go for a 74GB Raptor for Windows and Programs, BUT I don't think you need to use the whole 74GB just for them! I would partition it as, 10GB for Windows, 10 for programs, and the remaining 54GB for Games. The games being installed on the Raptor will run better than on the slower 250GB HDD.

Then partition your large slower HDD into 2 equal partitions of 125GB each for storage etc.

Cheers for the post matey.

My current usage is like this...

Windows - ~2.5Gb
Programs (inc. My Documents + My Pictures) - ~7Gb
Games - ~70Gb (!)
Storage (inc. Music + Videos) - 22Gb

Would it be better having programs on a different partition to Windows? Or Would Windows + Programs on the same one be just the same? So I'm thinking...

Raptor
-------
-Partition 1 = Windows + Programs (14Gb)
-Partition 2 = Games (60Gb)

SATAII (Pagefile on this drive)
-----------------------------
-Partition 1 = Downloads (125Gb)
-Partition 2 = Music + Videos (125Gb)

Your way could be done with a bit of a fiddle and reduction in the amount of games installed I guess. I'm not sure now. lol. :o

Cheers though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom