Old shape Lexus IS 200 Sport or New Golf GTI

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi,

I am considering part exchanging my 53 plate yaris t-sport for either the lexus is200 or a new shape golf GTI.

Question is Which car will hold its residual value longer over 2-3 years ? and how much should i get for my car which has only 12K miles and was registered in 2004 ?

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Fusion said:
You're thinking of dropping 18k on the old shape IS? :eek:

I thought you'd be comparing the new IS with the current Golf GTI.

New IS is 26K, i am trying to get the best avaliable p/x on my current car so i won't have to spend that amount

Soldato
New IS 250 is £22,400 on the road, 220D is £22,200 and they're prices straight from Lexus, before you consider brokers and dealer discounts. Just think that it's a lot of money for the old shape. The Golf will hold its value better, for sure.

Permabanned
I'm really not a fan of the IS's interior, but then I'm not a fan of the new MK5 golf interior either!, other than that, I also feel that the IS's are underpowered for what they are.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Fusion said:
New IS 250 is £22,400 on the road, 220D is £22,200 and they're prices straight from Lexus, before you consider brokers and dealer discounts. Just think that it's a lot of money for the old shape. The Golf will hold its value better, for sure.

i did go to the local dealer and all new is models shown were at 26-32K, maybe down to the extras that were included. Either way its above my budget. I did think the Golf will hold its value better but is that down to the particular model golf you buy i.e GTI rather than basic model ?

Soldato
nam said:
I did think the Golf will hold its value better but is that down to the particular model golf you buy i.e GTI rather than basic model ?

Generally VW's have good residuals considering they're mass market. What Car's depreciation index reckons the GTI will keep 64% of its list price (£19,995) after 3 years, which is priddy decent. Even the under powered 1.4 FSI Golf keeps an estimated 58% of its list price when its initial 3 years are up.

Man of Honour
The Mk5 GTi is not bad and the lexus is a little more "gangster" but I dunno, the IS's are too bad, plus they are RWD which is an advantage. However, having been as a passenger in both, the VW is quicker, but the IS250 felt much more luxurious and comfortable.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
The lexus is shown above was on the last of the old shape so has all the options, sat nav etc,rear parking sensors. I don't think the golf gti even comes close with std kit. . So GTI will most likely be 22K with leather, rear parking etc..

Does anyone know if i should be pushing the dealer to get more for my part exchange or should i be trying to get more of a discount on the new car ?

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Why don't you spend your £18k on a decent small exec - you could afford a really quite nice 330d Sport or something.

i have not been able to find a decent petrol BMW for under 18K with low mileage (under 20K) and is less than 2 years old. BMW's tend to be overpriced for the std kit they come with. Atm its either lexus or golf GTI.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Morba said:
the shape of the old is200 is very nice, was tempted by one before i bought the focus.
not been in the new gti so cant compare it.

thought about a new focus st?

Have looked at focus ST, excellent features for the price (although Still awaiting a test drive from a local dealer). Only concerb is depreciation. Ford will depreciate quicker than Golf and lexus and may only be worth 30% of inital value after 3 years.. :(

Soldato
nam said:
i have not been able to find a decent petrol BMW for under 18K with low mileage (under 20K) and is less than 2 years old. BMW's tend to be overpriced for the std kit they come with. Atm its either lexus or golf GTI.

Why must it come with less than 20,000 miles? :confused:

There are loads of 3 and 5 series you'll be able to bag for your budget.

Soldato
nam said:
You've said that depreciation is a concern yet you're not prepared to consider anything with more than 20k miles? With a low initial mileage, whatever you add to that during your ownership will have a far more pronounced effect on residual value than it would if the car had a higher mileage to start with.

Caporegime
nam said:
Have looked at focus ST, excellent features for the price (although Still awaiting a test drive from a local dealer). Only concerb is depreciation. Ford will depreciate quicker than Golf and lexus and may only be worth 30% of inital value after 3 years.. :(

some fords ie mondeos.
look at 3 year old RS and see wether its now selling for 30% of original price ;]

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Fusion said:
Why must it come with less than 20,000 miles? :confused:

There are loads of 3 and 5 series you'll be able to bag for your budget.

never trusted higher mileage cars, just the way i am. Ideally like to have a car with under 10K mileage which i can keep for 2 years and then sell-on and still get a very good return

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Morba said:
some fords ie mondeos.
look at 3 year old RS and see wether its now selling for 30% of original price ;]

you don't own a Ford RS do you ? , from what i read at ffoc forums they believe the ST will be at 8K after 2 Years. :(

Back
Top Bottom