It’s Over Between Me & Norton!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
AVG and SP2 firewall for me, Firefox for dubious style surfing. I don't even bother scanning the computer these days even after dodgy internet use, there's never anything to find except for a few tracking cookies. Computers start to get expensive if you start buying software when there is a perfectly good free solution out there.

Save your £60 and put it towards something nice like a romantic meal with the missus and a good bottle of wine.

Soldato
tbh I'm getting sick of these antivirus programmes trying to do more, 2k5 NAV has some funky firewall going on and I've never realy liked mcaffy, if I wanted another firewall I'd get one, as is I LIKE having a hardware firewall on my network keeping all my systems safe.
I still use NAV 2k2 mostly and norton corp for most of my business clients.

Associate
sam.wheale said:
Hi guys,

... I have been a regular user of both Internet Security and Systemworks, have seen a steady deterioration of both the quality and reliability of these products? It’s also becoming more of a resource-hog with each subsequent release!
I switched to AVG from NAV about a year ago. I never had NIS but ZoneAlarm is a nice informative but not intrusive Firewall.

I bought Systemworks 2005 on an offer mainly for Utilities, Clean Sweep and Ghost which were included. I never bothered to install the NAV as I was happy with AVG.

You should be able to keep Utilities when you remove NAV and NIS.
The Utilities do not depend on your subscription for updates - just click Live Update now and again. The Disk Optimizer, Clean Sweep and the various 'doctors' can be very useful.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Symantec (Nortons) AntiVirus Corporate.v9.0.2.1000 Final = The Best AV .... period!!

Then again though it's a little out of your budget range (ie £150-£200)

VeNT said:
tbh I'm getting sick of these antivirus programmes trying to do more, 2k5 NAV has some funky firewall going on and I've never realy liked mcaffy, if I wanted another firewall I'd get one, as is I LIKE having a hardware firewall on my network keeping all my systems safe.
I still use NAV 2k2 mostly and norton corp for most of my business clients.

Totally agree mate, hence why I have not bothered to update to Nortons Corp 10. I'm a separates man not HiFi if you know what I mean?!?

Last edited:
Associate
Outpost Pro is one of the very best firewalls on the market and if you "migrate" from a similar app you can get it half price at the moment!

An AV program that doesn't get the attention it deserves is F-Prot. It probably has the lowest footprint of any antivirus, its fast and has a good detection rate too.

If you are after freeware then check out AntiVir. Make no mistake, its a lot better all round than avast or AVG....

I'll be keeping my eyes out for the release of the much vaunted CyberHawk. Looks promising and its free!

;)

Last edited:
Associate
Strange i should read this thread today....Yesterday i doubled the speed of my pc. All it took was a couple of spare mins and the ability to uninstall Norton. Best thing ive ever done i think. Im better off with the spyware than i am Norton.

At least spyware usually stays in the background.

Associate
vodkacokebloke said:
Strange i should read this thread today....Yesterday i doubled the speed of my pc. All it took was a couple of spare mins and the ability to uninstall Norton. Best thing ive ever done i think. Im better off with the spyware than i am Norton.

At least spyware usually stays in the background.
If you removed Norton AntiVirus, I assume you've replaced it with something...

Back
Top Bottom