Golf MK3 VR6 Headgasget.

Soldato
Hi,

Has anyone got any idea roughly how much it is for a new headgasget (and maybe a skim) on one of these.

Is it especially expensive on the 15 degrees in line V engine?

Do you have to take to engine out?

The reason I ask is because I might buy one with a blown headgasget and the local place recons it could be more that 1K to change!

Cheers.

Soldato
It would not suprise me if it was that much, but don't forget you then have to find the problem that caused the failure in the first place, I have heard that those engines should have a new radiator at around 90K miles.Try looking for a VW VR6 forum for more detailed info

Soldato
OP
Well as long as I don't have to take the engine out I would do it myself. My dad was a professional mechanic 15 years ago and my brother changes engines himself etc so i've got some help!

I keep hearing it's a nasty job no these cars I just don't know why!

Buying a working one seems to be out of my price range. They seem to go for 2 to 3K!

Associate
I've got a VR6. The engine doesn't have to come out to do it. It will take a garage all day to do one, so that should give you an idea of how long it is going to take you. It would also be advised that you change the chain tensioners, whilst you have the head off. :) What year is the car?

Back
Top Bottom