Wireless connection Problem between DG834G & WG111

Soldato
I'm not a wireless user but when I have a system to fix which doesn't have an Eithernet port, I install the USB Netgear Adapter.

Its been going great for the past year and I had to use it on a laptop the other day and for some reason the Netgear Software keeps scanning for an access point but can't connect to one.

Under the Networks tab of the Netgear Wireless Assistant software, it does a scan and locates the access point(my router) stating all the details 98% signal strength etc.

When I click to connect, it doesn't and when the software returns to the main tab, it continues to scan for an access point.

I have no security setup and I can't see or find a reason why it won't connect. I thought it was just Win98 and left it but today I had a desktop system to work at using WinXP and the USB adapter, the same problem occurs.

It looks like the machines are not at fault.

Any help would be great.

Soldato
OP
I flashed the router to the previous firmware encase the update I did a month or more ago was at fault but it made no difference at all.

The Windows wireless connection would not connect either.

Soldato
tried just using windows own built-in networking setup and closing down netgears? or is the other system system using windows built-in setup?

Soldato
OP
Turned off netgears, and just used Windows but no use. Not sure whether its the USB adapter or the Router at fault as I haven't another wireless device to test. :(

Associate
I had a simliar experience the other evening. A Netgear USB adaptor and router. IN my case, I was also getting a constant scanning without it locking onto the access point.

In the end my problem was because of a typing mistake in the WPA key. So try deleteing all the profiles from the utility and setting it up again from fresh. And make sure you really are using the same key as on the router. :)

Soldato
OP
I have no security in place and never need to use it, and I've tried it on two different systems so no profiles have been created.

I'm stumped on this one.

Soldato
OP
The systems I've been trying to get the connection are using USB 1.1 and I just tried the USB adapter in my main rig which is USB 2 and it connects with no problems.

Why all of a sudden, the systems without USB 2 won't connect but I've had it going on USB 1.1 systems before.

Is there some Windows update on 98 + XP causing the prob or can I make a setting to amend this problem.

Back
Top Bottom