Anyone on AOL?

Caporegime
This says a lot.
Dynamic IP, iffy support, 12 month contract, abnormal MTU, but no limit (yet). As ste_bla says, no need to use their (poor) software.

Associate
Using the "Cable" option? Does this mean instead of ADSL you are using a local TV cable network like Telewest or NTL? If yes - then avoid it like the plague.

I was called out last year to an AOL Cable user in Brighton. AOL were using NTL's cable network. So this meant AOL called out an NTL engineer to install an NTL cable service and NTL modem. This NTL modem then had an AOL sticker on to of the NTL logo. So really it was just an NTL service.

The NTL engineer had made a mistake with the install, so the cable service was not functioning. I then spent three hours with this customer. Mainly with me on the phone line to various AOL support idiots. Most of them stuck on a script, but I did find one intelligent guy among them who could go off script (he also confirmed that the AOL bloated software was not needed at all).

Bottom line to the problem - AOL did not have any way of contacting NTL about the installation problem. And due to the abuse that the AOL call centre screamed at me down the phone, and the awful service, the customer followed my advice and cancelled the AOL account and just got NTL to put the cable in theirselves.

Comical thing was this customer already had NTL TV and Phone... so not quite sure why they went AOL...

Yep - I am a bit biased against AOL. But that is from seeing how badly they treat their customers. :)

Back
Top Bottom