200sx buying tips

Associate
I could be looking at one of these either this year or maybe next, depends if I get bored with the Corsa. Id probably be looking at the facelifted s14a (touring).

I know theres a few people here who own them - are there any common problems or issues on these cars? Id probably keep it standard.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do the usual checks you'll do on any car, i.e check the history thoroughly (has it a full Nissan service history). Give the bodywork a good going over, they should look like new if well taken care of. If it's not and is going rusty, walk away, it's been in an accident and badly repaired. Don't be afraid to give it some pasta on your dem. I tried an S14 that clearly had a knackered turbo as above 5k it make far more of a racket and had the performance of a primera 1.6. Should keep winding up all the way to 6500rpm without a problem.
Generally they're strong cars, especially if not modified and abused.
Not easy to find now in the right nick as they appear to have appreciated in value during the last year.

Soldato
All make a rough metal-on metal sound when starting, this is the VVT sprocket, you will not find one that doesn't do it, unless using aftermarket cams.

Turbo gaskets go at anything over 50k - £400 to get Nissan to fix it or £100 in parts and a Sunday getting mucky, you must do this properly and using locking nuts etc or it will end up blowing again. Best to change the water/oil pipes for braided items at a cost of £135 as these will perrish, as mine have just done!

Fuel pumps become weak anything after 60k, listen out for any signs of det at high boost/revs.

On the 14a, make sure the master fob is present, without this you cannot reprogram any more fobs, new unit is around £120+VAT from Nissan.

Turbos can last over 100k but some have been known to need reconditioning at much lower milages around 60-70k.

Will add more if I think of them :)

An s14a manual touring will commend a premium. Green and red cars tend to be a little cheaper than the rest. Black and blue are generally more expensive.

SXOC membership gives you the option of upto 15% off with Adrian Flux.

Last edited:
Associate
Quite a few comon problems, but none of which are mega costly or require a garage provided you have a socket set and dont mind buying the odd extra tool.

Intercooler goes on most cars (wont either rev or boost properly) = replace the intercooler. Replacing it with another standard one or an S15 one is dead easy and most people give standard ones away for free. FMIC's cost £400 or so and is a medium job.

Most people replace the fuel pump with a walbro one = £65 - 90. Fairly quick and easy but scary job. They fail on some cars at 80+K mileage and isnt worth the risk of leaving it standard if you are upping the power.

Djbenjo mentioned turbo gaskets.

Rear calipers seize. £0 if cought early enough - uneven rear pad wear. £50+ to buy 2nd hand rear calipers off someone who has upgrade/braking car.

Heater lights and switch usually go. Check all 1-4 positions work. Check aircon aswell. Usually very reliable, but smelly one could mean cost of regasing.

General wear and tear can get to them as they approach 100K if driven hard - like any car if driven hard. Suspension bushes weakening (£300 + tough job) and Turbo as djbenjo mentioned if driven particularly hard or not aloud to cool after use.

Age - at 10 years you start to get some rust round the wheel arches - not structural. Some sideskirted cars can get rust behind there too. Exhuasts tend to need replacing at 10 years. Clutches are toatally variable between cars. Some standard clutches last ages. Damers and springs last well, but you *must* change the standard springs to improve handling.

Lots of standard parts are given away for next to nothing.

Associate
Mr_Sukebe said:
I tried an S14 that clearly had a knackered turbo as above 5k it make far more of a racket and had the performance of a primera 1.6.
Could easily be the turbo gaskets if noisey even if not smoking. Smoke and not so much noise = probably turbo. If not so noisey and no smoke, then the intercooler. Either way the seller was a fool for not fixing the problem first - especially as even if it was the turbo, 2nd hand ones dont cost that much.

Associate
OP
LOL, engine looks like

clean03.jpg

Just hope its quicker than the Corsa...

Soldato
If you intend to keep the 200 standard, I doubt it will feel any/much faster than your Corsa after all the Corsa is lighter and has a 2 litre. The 200 would be quite a bit more heavier despite have a little more power, so wont feel as nimble.

IMO suspension mods or uprated ARBs are a must if you want a sporty drive instead of a GT car drive as its quite soft and stodgy as standard and uprate the pads.

Parts from Nissan can cost a fortune but most standard parts can be had for nothing or next to nothing as people let them go if they have uprated the part.

Soldato
If you can afford it get Racelogic Traction Control... When i had my 300bhp S13 it was scary to drive and i pussied it about round corners, islands, etc that was with all suspension inc ARB's, Strut Braces, Shocks and springs new bushes etc... Then i managed to get a S14a with RLTC... Its awesome... really adjustable and great fun... a lot of inexperienced drivers have crashed thier cars due to fishtailing, rear out antics... if you want to you can just wack it on highest it will not let anything like that happen... I must admit in the wet, slippy and icy conditions i use the max setting... but normally it gets 15% slip... great fun... not tried the 25% yet though... Dont know if i dare... :eek:

Always check for allignment problems... a lot of these cars are owned by budding drifters and kerb accidents are rife... Check for badly kerbed rims and damaged suspension components...

Back
Top Bottom