2 routers help!

Soldato
My original setup:
192.168.1.1 - Origo Singel port ADSLmodem/router - Connects to my pipex account - Runs DHCP, and all the normal router gubbins, NAT portforwarding and the like.
192.168.1.50 - DLink AP - gateway set to the origo router 192.168.1.1 - only other thing setup on it is WEP.

All machines connect wirelessly to the AP, all get ip's from dhcp on origo router.

The above setup works fine and dandy, but I wanted to make my house more media friendly. So I bought a wgt634u wireless media router (no adsl modem, 4xwired ports, 1Xinternet port) the one which lets you plug in hdds and all that jazz.

So obvioulsy the AP will no longer be needed. That leaves me with 2 routers and a shed load of settings I have no idea what to do with.

All I know is that all machines in my house will be connecting wirelessly to the media router, and I want them all to have print/file sharing and portforwarding, and most importantly a net connection which only the origo router can provide as it has the modem. Where the hell do I start setting this up?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the new media router will be very simmilar to existing AP, just set default gatewayto 192.168.1.1 and configure WEP how you like and then configure your wireless clients to connect to the media router.

All clients can still use DHCP and route via the router as they always did. Again, port-forwarding is still configured on your existing router so no change there.

Print/File sharing is set up in Windows and is independent from the router.

What extra are you trying to achieve with the media router as what I've suggested is same as you have now just with media router instead of your old AP.

Soldato
meh, the WGT634u's a piece of ****.

I suggest you don't chuck that AP away yet unless you want plenty of downtime, have them running in parallel.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
R4z0r said:
Well the new media router will be very simmilar to existing AP, just set default gatewayto 192.168.1.1 and configure WEP how you like and then configure your wireless clients to connect to the media router.

All clients can still use DHCP and route via the router as they always did. Again, port-forwarding is still configured on your existing router so no change there.

Print/File sharing is set up in Windows and is independent from the router.

What extra are you trying to achieve with the media router as what I've suggested is same as you have now just with media router instead of your old AP.
This is what I thought, but the settings in the media router are very confusing:

What do I set in here?
http://www.bigsy.co.uk/pics/basic.png
Is the ip address the ip address of the actual router?

What do I set in here? Is this the actual router ip:
http://www.bigsy.co.uk/pics/lanip.png

Also my origo router is a bit rubbish (eg only allows me to have 20 ranges of ports forwarded at anyone time etc) so I prefer it act as just a modem and let the media router do all the routing stuff.

@Phnom_Penh, yes I know the router gets mixed reviews, but there is very little alternative on the market which are affordable, and on that point it only cost me £37 all in....so not much lost if it doesn;t work out.

Soldato
OP
Just to add to that this is the kind of idea I had but not sure if it would work or how to set it up properly:

[origo]
|
[media router]
|
[Servers, PCs, other devices all connect wirelessly]

On the origo:
1) Turn off the DHCP server
2) Enable DMZ and use the ip of the media router, this should bypass all security on the origo? I think :)
3) Then forward 0 > 65535 ports to the media router.

Soldato
Bigsy said:
@Phnom_Penh, yes I know the router gets mixed reviews, but there is very little alternative on the market which are affordable, and on that point it only cost me £37 all in....so not much lost if it doesn;t work out.
ok fair enough, its alright after some fixing, a fan, and a mmcx to sma adaptor is also a good idea. Im currently running linux on mine as Netgear hasn't released a firmware since June 2005. The fact you got it for £37 is good though tbh.

For that basic screen, you won't need to set anything. For the Lan one, yes those are the IP settings for the router. You'll want to turn the DHCP server off.

Its probably easier to connect the origo to the switch rather than make the WGT634u route it...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But if I don't enter anything in the basic setup screen...how will the router know where the origo router is? As there isn't a gateway setting in the lan ip screen.

Also I'm not sure what you mean when you say connect the origo to the switch? Do you mean connect the origo to the media router, but on a normal port and not the internet port?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure how that setup would work, could you elaborate?

I would prefer the media router to do all the routering stuff, dhcp etc.

If I put the origo on one of the normal ports on the media router will all my wireless machines connecting to the media router be able to use the internet?

Soldato
Bigsy said:
I'm not sure how that setup would work, could you elaborate?

I would prefer the media router to do all the routering stuff, dhcp etc.

If I put the origo on one of the normal ports on the media router will all my wireless machines connecting to the media router be able to use the internet?
If you connect your Origo to the router's switch, it will be no different to how you had it set up with the AP. If you want to have the wgt634u do the routing, you could either set it up the way you suggested, or you could probably use rip (im not sure if the origo supports it though).

Soldato
OP
Thanks, final question :) You said I don't need to set anything in the basic settings for the media router, is this definatly correct? As I don;t know where I would set the gateway address otherswise for it to use the origo.

Soldato
Bigsy said:
Thanks, final question :) You said I don't need to set anything in the basic settings for the media router, is this definatly correct? As I don;t know where I would set the gateway address otherswise for it to use the origo.

If you leave it will get the default gateway via DHCP, it will also get a different IP from time to time so this isn't really what you want.

AFAICS, you just want to use the Origo as a modem and let the Netgear take care of routing? If so, I'd suggest.

Disable DHCP on the Origo. Set the Origo's LAN IP to something like 192.168.1.254. Port-forward everything (DMZ) to the Netgear (192.168.1.1).

Under "Internet IP Address" Set the Netgear's IP to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0. Enable the DHCP server (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.253). And you should be done.

Have to admit, it's a bit of a complicated way to achieve better control over port forwarding (Which is the only reason I can see for doing this).

A better approach would be to get yourself a nice wireless, ADSL router and get rid of the Origo/AP/Media router.

Caporegime
If the Origo were reduced to a modem (ZIPB/half-bridge mode or whatever they call it), the Origo could be connected to the Netgear's WAN port.

Soldato
OP
R4z0r said:
If you leave it will get the default gateway via DHCP, it will also get a different IP from time to time so this isn't really what you want.

AFAICS, you just want to use the Origo as a modem and let the Netgear take care of routing? If so, I'd suggest.

Disable DHCP on the Origo. Set the Origo's LAN IP to something like 192.168.1.254. Port-forward everything (DMZ) to the Netgear (192.168.1.1).

Under "Internet IP Address" Set the Netgear's IP to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0. Enable the DHCP server (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.253). And you should be done.

Have to admit, it's a bit of a complicated way to achieve better control over port forwarding (Which is the only reason I can see for doing this).

A better approach would be to get yourself a nice wireless, ADSL router and get rid of the Origo/AP/Media router.
Thanks, this is kinda what I had in mind I'll give it a go tomorrow with those settings.

And trust me If they sold a wireless ADSL media router I would buy one.

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Is that with the origo connected to the switch or wan port?

The Origo's LAN port could either be connected to the Netgears WAN port (x-over cable) or they could both be connected to a switch.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
If the Origo were reduced to a modem (ZIPB/half-bridge mode or whatever they call it), the Origo could be connected to the Netgear's WAN port.
There is an option on the Origo called 'PPP Half Bridge' it's disabled at the mo, would this need to be enabled.....plus DMZ etc. Also if its reduced to modem state do I need to disable NAT on it?

Caporegime
Bigsy said:
There is an option on the Origo called 'PPP Half Bridge' it's disabled at the mo, would this need to be enabled.....plus DMZ etc.

DMZ wouldn't be needed, nor would NAT. Both should be automatically disabled.

Soldato
R4z0r said:
The Origo's LAN port could either be connected to the Netgears WAN port (x-over cable) or they could both be connected to a switch.
maybe, the only problem that you would get by doing it port to port is that theres no way to direcly access the origo's interface.

Back
Top Bottom