Bought a board off Ebay and it's got no retention bracket :(

Associate
Ok so I shouldn't have bought a board from ebay but I did so...

It's an MSI Neo2 Platinum Socket 939.
It seems to be missing the top part of the retention bracket for the CPU which means that there is nowhere to clip the CPU onto.

Does anyone sell these cheap?
They're only a bit of plastic but the only result I can find on Google is £10 with delivery!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry i edited out the URL.

Do you know if OC sell them, or anyone else that does?
I'm in a right pickle if my retail boxed athlon 64 3700 doesnt have one in the box when it arrives.

Associate
OP
Thanks I've emailed MSI.

A heatsink is a more expensive option - particularly as I've ordered the retail box processor and not the OEM lol :(

Associate
OP
If MSI doesn't go to plan does anyone know where this part can be purchased?
A nice heatsink is really pushing my wage packet at the moment unfortunately :(

I greatly appreciate your help.

Soldato
I dont think this part CAN be purchased.... ive certainly never seen any for sale except second hand. A zalmann will cost you about 20quid if u shop around, which may be the only way out of this pickle if MSI cant help.

Ill have a root round at work and see if i have a spare ( but i doubt it ) You need to find some one with a duff board really if you want a bracket on the cheap.

Associate
OP
The CPU didn't contain a retention bracket :(

Now I'm screwed, I have a whole PC but can't run it because I can't fit the heatsink.

The buyer said he will look for it...

Associate
I had the same problem with a 754 board, lost the retention module and couldn't fit an Arctic Cooler.. The lovely guys at OCUK tec support had a spare knocking about and posted it out to me and I got it in 2 days. Give them a call.

PS. MSI will tell you to contact your local supplier, no help at all/

Associate
I had a problem similar to this today. I was installing my cpu cooler (Zalman 9500) into my new mobo when the screw broke. Half stuck in the nipple so the backing plate was useless. I managed to get one in a local computer shop that does a lot of repairs, no charge :D That's probably your best chance.

Back
Top Bottom