• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon X800 Series And HDR.

Soldato
Yea, it can render a form of HDR.

The source version of HDR works fine with shader model 2.0 cards, and it is infact real HDR but a different method is used to produce the effects than with 3.0 versions say such as farcry.

Caporegime
The X800 cannot fully render HDR in the commonly regarded sense of HDR. They can perform a lower detailed hack with a big performance hit but the output is not comparible to the HDR capabilites of the latest Nvidia and ATI hardware.
To date, there isn't a single full game that support HDR on the X800, just Hlaf life Lost Coast demo thing. And there most probably wont ever be any full games that will.
E.g. unreal 3 engine will not support HDR on that card (infact it wont really do anything mych on that card as it doesn't support PS3.0, VS3.0, dynamic branching, 32 bit recision shaders and a few otherthings that are key to the UE3 techology).

Soldato
D.P. said:
The X800 cannot fully render HDR in the commonly regarded sense of HDR. They can perform a lower detailed hack with a big performance hit but the output is not comparible to the HDR capabilites of the latest Nvidia and ATI hardware.
To date, there isn't a single full game that support HDR on the X800, just Hlaf life Lost Coast demo thing. And there most probably wont ever be any full games that will.
E.g. unreal 3 engine will not support HDR on that card (infact it wont really do anything mych on that card as it doesn't support PS3.0, VS3.0, dynamic branching, 32 bit recision shaders and a few otherthings that are key to the UE3 techology).
I count Day of Defeat: Source as a full game, and that supports HDR on the X800 series :confused:

Caporegime
A random name said:
I count Day of Defeat: Source as a full game, and that supports HDR on the X800 series :confused:

I forgot about that one, but then by the commonly accepted definition of HDR it cannot be done fully with SM2.0 hardware. But there is no official definition of what HDR is so one can say the X800 can display soem form of limited HDR effects.

Associate
Dont forget to add the New Day Of Defeat to the list ;)

What the source engine shows is that hdr can be done at an acceptable performance level and look just as nice as the SM3 hdr which is really just a higher precision method and wouldnt really be able to tell the difference unless you had the two methods running side by side. We need more sm2 freindly hdr games ;) Having said that, games are starting to get slow now on my current X800 so that will be upgraded to an sm3 capable card anyway when i upgrade the rest of the aging system.

Recently tried the new starwars empire at war demo, and that causes quite a performace hit when all settings maxed. (and its not as if its doing an awful lot apart from rendering very tiny(but detailed) models).

Soldato
D.P. said:
I forgot about that one, but then by the commonly accepted definition of HDR it cannot be done fully with SM2.0 hardware. But there is no official definition of what HDR is so one can say the X800 can display soem form of limited HDR effects.
The SM2.0 version doesn't render the HDR as accurately as say, the Farcry SM3.0 version, but it does the job and i've gota say it does look fantastic :)

And with the current source HDR, you can actually have AA on as well, so it might not be as accurate as Farcry's version, but you're left with an overall better looking game imo :)

Caporegime
Basicly, you need to be able to blend high precision floating point buffers, Sm2.0 cannot do this and thus they cannot run HDR as most developers would call it.

I eman, you could run a demo on a voodoo 2 that showed some HDR effects but it doesn't make it HDR. The OP wanted to know if the X800 supports HDR, presumably he is looking to buy a card that supports it. The X800 supports HDR to a lesser degree than the Nvidia Fx5200 as even that has some of the required shaders. If the OP wants HDR capable hardware then he needs to buy NV4x or G7x hardware, or ATi R5xx or above.

Soldato
bleh, HDR, id rather not have loads of light glaring at me bluring my vision, how am i supposed to see the next person 2 kill with all the eye-candy distraction?

Back
Top Bottom