• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800gt stuttering in all games

Associate
i have an agp 6800gt running latest nvidia drivers in a shuttle sn95g5 v2.

i every graphic intensive game i get stuttering, where the screen freezes and the sound makes a stuttering sound like a stuck cd for anout 10 seconds then the game continues. this doesnt happen too often in cod but will happen continually in fear.

any ideas what it could be?

Associate
Sounds like a heat issue to me. The stuttering could be the card throttling back.
You do have the second power lead connected to the card don't you?
Have you run 3dmark2005 benchmark to see if that runs stable and to give you a score to compare to similar spec'd machines to see if you have an issue.

Soldato
Check your cpu I.C.E (heatsink) and any other heatsinks in the system are not full of dust..

Check all fans are running ok.

Try playing a few games with all the fans set to high speed in the bios...

Associate
Firstly the OP needs to specify how much RAM on the card and how much system RAM he has - then what settings he tries to run FEAR at. Anything over medium textures needs at least 256mb on the card and over 1gb in the system or you'll get regular HDD access and stutter.

Soldato
ShakenNstirred said:
to be honest turning that off doesn't do a deal on modern cards
old ati cards didnt like it on
i have always had in set to on and never had any probs

As have I, but the 6800 series of cards had a problem with it (some of them, anyway) if you do a little research

Soldato
The guy's problem isn't normal stuttering, his games actually freeze for 10 secs (while the sound stutters). This is a very common problem with 6800s, and is covered by the sticky post.

STICKY POST at the top of the page said:
With 6800 cards
Freezes or pauses (especially on 6800GT/U/NU)
Ensure 2d/3d clock is the same, fastwrites are off in AGP settings (requires reset, can also be done in some Bios'), and that your bios is the latest version from your manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom