• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GTX Cooling Solution

Associate
My 7800 is hitting some silly temperatures. It is probably a case of poor airflow, but when I migrate my system into a better cooled case that should be fixed.

In the meantime... do you guys think this looks feasible?

http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict02676rs.jpg

Here's where I found it.

http://www.ausfx.com/forum/index.php/topic,5429.0.html

It's just the fan taken from the stock cooler that comes with A64 chips. Do any of you guys think there could be any problems with this? Because it looks and sounds like a good idea.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice lads, keep the temp results coming.

I know water cooling is a little more forward but it cant be beaten on the GPU,
my 7800GT hits 35oC max and 30oC idle with a DD Maize 4 block. Thats with the clock speeds at 560/1300.

Artic Silencer are awsome as im sure u all know.

Soldato
Done that mod with the fan that came with my stock H/S, 37C idle and never went above 50C during 3DMark05 and is very quiet. Thats with fan at a permanent 100%.

Associate
just put an stock X2 cooler an my GTX, idle temp now 38C (from 47 ) and load temp = 50C (from 79) @486/1350:D

piccy :

4Qman said:
Nice lads, keep the temp
results coming.

I know water cooling is a little more forward but it cant be beaten on the GPU,
my 7800GT hits 35oC max and 30oC idle with a DD Maize 4 block. Thats with the clock speeds at 560/1300.

Artic Silencer are awsome as im sure u all know.

it might be beaten with this : :cool:

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1246208&postcount=50

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried water on 2x7800gtx with a PD 3ghz & my resinator croaked with steam venting out the top, not tried with AMD but reckon would need put fans around the resinator, lol.

Associate
OP
Well the update is, I couldnt get a fan to screw on top of the GTXs heatsink.

SO!

I just got a couple of your average elasticated bands, and just bound the fan to it.

Temps are now 45 load, instead of 70-80 load.

That is a ridiculous improvement, and this is still with the stock fan causing a little bit of turbulence.

So aye, if your looking for a curious way to try and lower temps, give this a go. It really is quite spectacular :)

kdd

kdd

Soldato
A friend did a similar thing with an artic cooler, he removed the plastic bit and just put an 80mm fan on top of the heatsink, lowered the temps by about 20c i think.

Associate
OP
All too much effort for me. The hardest part about my little trick was removing the stupid plastic cover that cases the 7800s heatsink. Due to the fact I couldnt find a small enough screwdriver.

Oh aye, and it's also quite quiet... I dont seem to be able hear the noise my 7800 used to make. Tis all good when you use your imagination a bit :)

Soldato
Why even by a Zalman when you can remove the plastic cover from the stock case, unplug the stock fan and screw on a thin 80mm fan (the one that comes with the stock A64 HSF is ideal).
im running 516/1.37 rock solid.

Back
Top Bottom