hi sadly my dfi board has gone down
it keeps giving me error code MBR error 2 code
it wont let me boot back into windows
i also noticed that the bottom orange memory slot does not seem to work
and my memory the corsair xls 3500 memory seems very odd
ie one works but the other isnt
does any one know what the code number stands for
i will in the morning be taking it back to the shop
wont memtion the name on here but it is not a million miles away from this site forum lol
hoping some one may shed some light

Last edited:
Associate
OP
by the way guys the board and memory and all listed in my sig was all bought on the 7th october 2005
now on the wifes pc posting this message
good job i kept the old pc lol
:)

Last edited:
Associate
Can you be more specific about the error code? When does it occur? What EXACTLY does it say? Any beeps? Diagnostic LEDs? Can you get into the BIOS?

What do you mean one memory stick works and the other doesn't? Does one let you boot into windows, and the other not? Memtest errors?

Have you done anything that may have precipitated the error, i.e. new overclock, new component, new BIOS, etc? Tried resetting CMOS?

Sorry for all the questions, but we need lots of info to be able to help :)

Associate
Is a local shop mate? Don't know of many in Hull that sell DFI mobos. Give the Biostar TForce 6100-939 a try half the price of the DFI, plenty of tweaks for memory and are rock solid with the enhanced capacitors and 3.3v jumper on the mobo for the BH5 fanboys and girls.

Hope you get it sorted.

Rob H

Associate
OP
hi the code that come up is before the bios finish botting up
the error code is MBR error 2
tried memory in this machine that having to use now to post and there is a constant bleep when i try the Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro, one stick is working fine
sadly the other is no go
both start ok with the two yellow lights in the middle then one goes through the booting process the other does nothing
i done nothing to the board or any componets
all i did was leave it on downloading from newsgroups
when i came back in the pc and froze and i did a hard reset and bingo
it would not post
so i checked the graphics then the hardd drive then finaly the memory
will post ok with just the top orange slot been used but will not work with the bottom slot
tried both memory sticks in the baines pc and also her sticks are budget corsair ddr in mine same problem all i get is one long constant bleep it will not post when i try to use the bottom orange slot
will changing the bois alter anything ?
it will post when only the top orange slot is used so i tried swapping my memory sticks around and yes one stick is faulty i think
or should i just take it back to OC in the morning >? will ocUK be able to swap componets or is it a warranty now with the manufactors ???
sorry for the questions but driving 180 miles there and 180 miles back is a bit of a distance
would have to set off early ie 6 am has i got work for 2pm in the afternoon
i have recipt for all i purchased from these guys
any help plz
the pc will boot up fine when only the top orange slot is used now posting this message on my old pc tried memtest on the stick and works ok
but now down to 1gig of memory and wow is it slow lol
but think board is faulty as when i try a matched pair of corsair budget still will not post using the bottom orange slot
i hope i answer your question ok

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i personal think the baord and memory are at fault but i would not be quoted on it for sure
is there any software i could use to double check for faults with the board and memory
on boardband and newsgroups so software is not a problem to find

Associate
OP
found this whislt trawlling through sites for info can anyone comment on this plz.
The only issues with the dfi boards are make sure you have a good power supply and stay away from corsair ram. As it is 50-50 with corsair running right on these boards.

Associate
"MBR error 2" is a HD error, not mobo. Master Boot Record.

try a bootable linux CD to check the rest of componants are working OK.

Associate
I'd be surprised if both the board and the memory were faulty - it'd be a very unlucky coincidence :(

You say you've had luck with the top orange slot - have you tried both mem sticks in it (one at a time)?

If one stick works in this slot (run Memtest - activate it in the BIOS), and the other does not, then you've got a faulty stick, simple as that. Send OcUK a webnote and get an RMA number, then just post it back to them (it's nice and light so not worth driving 180 miles to drop it off in person I'd say...) and use the single working stick in the meantime.

As for the bottom orange slot not working, don't worry too much about this just yet. It could just be a problem with the settings (timings, etc), or it could be that you need to use the yellow slots, or a different BIOS. In any case, wait until you've got two working sticks of RAM before you try to sort it out.

Hmm, just had a thought - the continuous beeps you get suggest a RAM problem, so no surprises there. As for the mbr error... Have you got an unusual hdd setup (RAID, lots of hard drives or partitions)? Faulty RAM can mess about with your boot files, and your BIOS... but I'm just thinking out loud. I think you're just getting that because the faulty RAM is causing you to get read errors during booting. Doubt you need to worry about the hard drives :)

Associate
Sorry, just saw your most recent post. Regarding Corsair mem and DFI boards, it's true it can be tricky getting them to run together. Usually a case of getting the settings right with the right BIOS version, rather than an out-and-out incompatibility. I still think, though, that if one works in a given slot, and the other doesn't, with the exact same settings, then that points to faulty RAM rather than a compatability problem.

Maybe I'm too hasty? Any other opinions?

Associate
OP
hi i tried altering the timing settings
and just flashed the board to 310 and still no joy with the bottom orange slot
tried it in the two yellows and nothing only seems to boot in the top orange slot
will travel down there with my tower
then if they got a spare 10 mins
they can look for them selfs with out having to bench test it in another tower
then if there is a major problem i hope they will swap it for me
there and then
:)
i hope

Back
Top Bottom