WD2000JB clunking

Caporegime
In the middle of the night, my WD WD2000JB started making a clunking noise (like a stepper motor moving about 3 or 4 times).
Took the machine to bits, tried different data/power cables as well as without any other drives connected, and the result's the same. Listening more closely, the drive seems to spin up, clunk about 4 times, then spin down (and repeats that).
Neither Windows nor an Ubuntu Linux live CD can see the partitions on the drive (though the BIOS detects it, and both show the drive as connected).

Any suggestions as to how to get it working (or at least get the data off it) before I RMA?
Ta.

Soldato
Not really... if it's lost the partitions, you could try running a chkdsk to fix any file system errors but if it clunks to death during that process, data recovery will be harder. It's risky but I think the only way of getting any form of data back (the chkdsk).

Caporegime
OP
It can't pull anything either :(

I've set up the RMA, but seeing as it's an advance RMA, I'll have the replacement before I send the dud back. Is it worth trying pulling the controller off the new drive and sticking on the old one?

Edit: More immediately, is it worth trying shoving it in the freezer, say overnight?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom