Someone tried to kill me today

Soldato
I've only just calmed down enough to post this without getting a week long holiday so here goes.

I was driving home from a friends house down a NSL road when I came up behind a CRV doing ~50mph. I waited for a safe oportunity and started to overtake, as a pulled along side the driver started to serve towards me, my speed differential was enough that I was past him before he could come close but I immediately looked in my mirror to see him fully on the wrong side of the road behind me.

I'm sorry to say that as this point I totally lost it. Slammed on the brakes in the middle of the road and waited for him to stop, I was halfway out the car before he "realised the error of his ways" and drove off.

I did think about following him but I went for the sitting quietly for 5 mintues option instead. I was shaking for the rest of the drive home.

I would go to the Police but I have no recollection of his number plate and I doubt they could do anything without one.

It seems that there aren't just bad drivers out there but completely insane ones as well :mad:

Soldato
******* ********* the lot of them!

I crashed my car because of some ******* retard who decided it would be funny to put his foot down when I decided to overtake him. Yeah mate, thanks for pulling out on me in the first place :mad:

Since then, I've stared out the driver of every silver Clio around the area where I had my crash. Someone is going to pay.

Sorry to hear the idiot got away. It's him who deserves to die! But kudos to you for taking the right approach and taking 5 minutes to calm down.

Man of Honour
NathanE said:
Some right morons on the road. Probably saw your Lotus badge and thought he'd have a pop at you.

Go buy your car something nice for saving your butt ;)

Nope - they do it to Imprezas as well. I've twice had people try to force me off they road for having the temerity to overtake them. One time I ended up on the verge on the far side and the other was the time I hit a concrete block and broke an alloy.

M

Soldato
I had somebody once on an NSL A road doing 35mph, I went to overtake them and they were out accelerating me so I swerved in, and did and emergency stop on them from 60mph.

You live and learn I guess. Stupid.

It is scary when things like that happen but I've learnt to keep much calmer. Then I won't do stupid things. Because losing your temper about it will make you do stupid and possibly dangerous things IMO.

Soldato
Why do people get so upset when people overtake then, ******* idiots. If they are going way under the speed limit that is their choice if you want to go faster its your choice, what would they rather you do drive up their ass, or for you just to pass.

Man of Honour
The one thing that worries me in this situation, having experienced something similar myself, is that if the person driving the other car is mentally unbalanced and stupid enough to attempt to injure/kill/main you with their car, where will they stop when you get out of the car to challenge them. In incidents like this its much safer to get the details and drive on. I know in the heat of the moment you want to rip their head off, I know I do, but it just isn't worth the risk.

I apologise in advance for the sweeping generalisation but I found that a lot of English drivers will go to extreme lengths to show you how much of a hurry they're in or to 'teach you a lesson'. It's quite noticeable compared to Ireland/N.Ireland where drivers are usually a bit more relaxed. If you manage to jump the queue or overtake them, they feel the need to prove themselves to you and to put you into your place behind them in the queue. It is amazing the lengths some drivers will go to, just to try to prove themselves to you, in this instance the guy tried to write you off.

Soldato
saitrix said:
I don't get that either, i would be fully happy someone passing me even if i was doing 60 myself.

If anyone overtakes me, I simply come off the gas altogether.

I too, don't have a problem with people overtaking me. Even if it's some chav in his Corsa... I would rather they got past me as soon as possible than hang around and it be me who causes the accident.

Scuzi said:
in this instance the guy tried to write you off.

In my case, succeeded. It's scary to think that if my car had flipped I could have died. Some guy could have got off scott free with murdering me :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
I overtook a merc on a nsl road a while ago driving to work, he swerved over towards me when i was alongside him and i had to go onto a gravel runoff to get round him.

I was quite angry. He was obviously not happy that a ka was overtaking him!

Soldato
So what if you were to swerve back into the road while the other car is ahead in the "proper" lane? While you would both probably be writeoffs, the other guy could just say that you tried to overtake at an innoportune moment, what might back you up?

Soldato
In fact, this reminds me of the time I overtook a Focus Estate on a sliproad.

It was a very safe overtake, I was overtaking well before the two lanes of the sliproad merged into one, and yet this guy decided he was going to glue himself to my bumper to well over 100mph.

I indicated and moved over to the inside lane and as he passed gave him a nice friendly gesture.

He braked and his partner did the same back to me, so they got a nice taste of my middle finger.

He then darted over to the inside lane, right in front of me causing me to have to brake rather hard. I purposely left quite a big gap and after waiting about 2 minutes, was able to overtake him quite swiftly.

Never saw him again thank god, but some people seriously don't deserve to be on the roads.

Soldato
Glad you're OK!

I just can't believe that people will be so stupid to do things like this! :eek:

I was also stunned to read that people have similar experiences. It really gets my back up too as it's likely that they won't have a single accident either (or if they do they'll come off scott free and hurt someone else)

I've never had that happen to me, thank goodness. I've had a few people put their foot down when I've tried to overtake them (which is just stupid) but never try to swerve into me!

I once had this mad women who freaked out when I overtook her and proceed to tailgate me blasting her horn continually for a good few minutes! Once I overtook someone and he then promptly overtook me!

The only time when I got cross with someone overtaking me (I usually just let them do it as it stops them tailgating me) is when I had this twit in a Proton (in appalling nick) working his way up the queue behind be (a fair few cars coming the other way had to perform an emergancy stop too!). Anyway, he pulled out in front of an oncoming car and sat there (we were doing 50+ in an NSL and he probably didn't have any power!). I had to brake hard as did the person coming the other way. When he cut in front I flashed my lights at him - he promptly slammed on his brakes (at this point he was inches in front due to cutting in close). I must have missed his bumper by inches

I just cannot believe it. I've seen people overtake through a 30 mph village. I've seen someone go mental at another car for no real reason - it was a 30 mph limit (although out of town) and this car was doing 60 down this road. He came up behind someone on the road who was minding their own business and proceed to blast his horn, flash his lights and force them off the road so he could go past!

Why are some people such *****? It doesn't benefit them. What if a young couple had their child run out (it was a 30 limit on the outside of canterbury) with this idiot doing 60+?!!

/Rant over. It's just rather irritating!

Soldato
Do you think maybe he'd dozed off and drifted over or reached down for something and yanked the steering wheel?

If not - he's an absolute idiot and I'm glad that you (and the lotus :D ) are ok :)

It's quite noticeable compared to Ireland/N.Ireland where drivers are usually a bit more relaxed.
You havent driven here much then, have you :D
They're just as bad here, if not worse. Terrible driving, and plenty of aggression. You end up instinctively knowing when a driver is an idiot and how to drive around them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom