• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Naked 146 Opteron

Permabanned
This happened to me today...

I decided that my Opteron 146, when clokced to 3ghz was too hot for my likings (46-48 Degrees). So, I decided to take off the IHS and make it naked in the hope that it would reduce the temps. Bear in mind this is my favourite processor, and she will do 3.1ghz on air. So there I as was, razor blade in hand....

Started with the corners, everything was goind well. I know that the sealant is 3-4mm in, so I was being careful. First 3 corners went really well, then on the 4th corner, the blade slipped and went in a bit further that I wanted it too. FLipped the IHS off, and too my horror this had happened: -

DSC02288.jpg

Look on the left hand side. See the 4 chips, the 2 bottom ones have been sliced off, and the 3rd from the bottom was hanging off (pulled it off later) !!! You can imagine how colourful my language became !!! I was very very upset, after all, this is my favourite processor.

I was just about to throw it out when my daughter said, "put it in and see if it works" I told her not to be so ******* stupid, but I thought "what the hell" and chucked her into my PC (processor, not my daughter !!!) LOL

Well, imagine my suprise when the PC booted up and has worked fine ever since ! Temps are 10 Degrees lower (which is what I had originally hoped). I thought this could not be right, so while we were out having lunch, I left it priming for 3 hours. No problems priming. Checked CPU-Z and it still shows 1mb Cache and the correct processor ID and speed (running it at 2.9ghz @ default volts). The girls have played HL2 and Age of Empires 3 and the PC is running better than ever.

This has really confused me. After all, the processor has 3 chips missing from it now so how it is still working with no issues ???? Anyone have any ideas ???

Oh, the moral of the story is to be very careful when removing the IHS !!!! LOL :) :) :)

No swearing - Read the FAQ.

Otacon

Associate
lmfao, nice job man.

although im slightly worried here:
"my daughter said, "put it in and see if it works" I told her not to be so ******* stupid"

how old is she lol.

Associate
Half way through reading your post I was thinking "Ouch, unlucky loosing such a good chip". :p

I've not ever seen a chip survive having had 3 resistors taken off it. I've seen a couple that have been ok with one, but this is a near miracle.

I think you should buy a lottery ticket with that luck. :D

Permabanned
OP
MrMatt said:
lmfao, nice job man.

although im slightly worried here:
"my daughter said, "put it in and see if it works" I told her not to be so ******* stupid"

how old is she lol.

LOL, she's 11 ! And gives as good as she gets !! ;) She was watching me do it and like my wife, was a bit concerned I would lose a finger. Basically, if they'd not be going on at me, then I would've been able to concentrate a bit better !!! Plus, note to self....must not remove IHS so early on Sunday mornings after having a skinful the night before....

Permabanned
OP
Defcon5 said:
Have you done any benchmarks that you can compare (brfore and after)

you might have sliced half the cache off or summat!

Unfortumately, they are about the same. The 3dmark scores are slightly higher, but I attribute that to different drivers installed today. I was sort of hoping one of these 3 may have controlled the multiplier, but no such luck.

Associate
Defcon5 said:
You know you want to hack some more off to find out if one does control the multi!

As for those ones that are alreqady off, they must do something surley!

i sure as hell wound do it with your best chip, but if you got a load of semprons or something cheep try it with them

there has to be some way of unlocking the multi <_<

Soldato
NightSt@lk3r said:
a mate of mine had a opty 146 unlock itself when he cleard the cmos on his board

see here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78109

oooh a freak unlock hehe :) sorry should have stated, it's not like the old XP's with the cut bridges, atm I don't think there is a universal, easy, reliable unlock method - save for *** unusual ones people sometimes get like your friend.

Associate
temps seem so different on these opterons mine idles at 40c at stock 40c overclocked to 2.6 idle , that is with a zalman aeroflower . akasa eclipse case with 2x 120mm fans . yet some people seem to get much lower temps . ?

Associate
This thread has me intrigued, I wonder what those chips actually do?

slap ed, same here mine idles at 36c on AC 64 Pro cooler. I don't worry about it :)

Amazingly its at 33c right now, but the central heating isn't on and its baltic in here!

Associate
benktlottie said:
LOL, she's 11 ! And gives as good as she gets !! ;) She was watching me do it and like my wife, was a bit concerned I would lose a finger. Basically, if they'd not be going on at me, then I would've been able to concentrate a bit better !!! Plus, note to self....must not remove IHS so early on Sunday mornings after having a skinful the night before....

i like your style, you mess it up & then blame it on yer wife & kid for going on at you - nice one :D

Back
Top Bottom