Strange problems with out going mail

Associate
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone here can help me:

I have NIS 06 installed and it basically keeps flagging up consistant messages telling me that Error: "Your email message to <email address of recipient> with the subject <email subject> was unable to be sent . . ."

I keep getting that message over and over, different email addresses each time, and i'm not sending them!

I've updated and run a complete system scan with norton/ i have all windows updates / updated and run a full scan with spybot search and destroy / stripped MSCONFIG.

None of the above have helped, basically some kind of virus seems to be mail bombing people from my machine, and the consistant error messages are very annoying, i've just had another 6 while writing this thread, a million thanks to anyone here that can help me :(

Man of Honour
Norton Internet Security 2006 :)

My vote still goes for some kind of virus. Check NIS is fully up to date and actually running (some viruses try their best to kill it). Maybe find a rootkit checker too if nothing else shows up (be warned this is pretty advanced stuff even by today's standards, so somewhat unlikely).

Using your system as a relay is somewhat less likely, especially with NIS running.

Soldato
all depends how you've got NIS configured if it's not blocking/monitoring the right things your server could be happily being used as a relay by anyone on the net.

Make sure all your client PC's are virus free as you never know if one of them has picked up a nasty disease that is using outlook to spam the world.

If it is a virus good luck as your probably going to need it, if a few virus scans from different organisations etc haven't picked up on it it's going to be a right git tofind let alone get rid of. Maybe a rebuild on the cards? do you have a good backup from before the problem started?

Associate
OP
yeah, thanx guys, i'll try a different virus scanner. In the mean time ive had to turn norton 06 off the warnings are dead annyoing. Bit worried out using online banking etc as those out going emails could be sending anything :o

Back
Top Bottom