Are mobile phones always slow?

Soldato
I'm looking to replace my battered Sony Ericsson T610 - possibly with a cheaper model like the Nokia 2600 (not interested in cameras or any on that mp3 player nonsense)

One thing that has always surprised me is how slow mobile phones are (e.g. navigating the menus, browsing the phonebook, spellchecker in text messaging) - why is this? Is it because of the SIM card speed?

I want a phone that is fast and responsive to my keypresses, not where it noticeably lags.

Are all phones affected by this, and is there any way of sorting it?

Soldato
Can't say I have ever had a problem with the speed on my phones ( and I'm very quick on mine). Then again I have only ever had Nokia phones, so it could be that just certain brands are slower?

Associate
I was always loyal to siemens since buying my first phone, a Siemens C25, in 1999. However as the years went on it seemed they just kept releasing obsolete phones. The last siemens phone I bought a few years ago was OK if sending a 1 part SMS message. Anything more and you could wait over a second for a letter to display.

Permabanned
you mean slow as in you press a button and it takes a while for it to show on the screen? none of my phones have had this problem, right the way from my Nokia3210 to my Samsung phone I have now. It is usually a problem on cheap phones or early colour screen phones.

Soldato
With older phones like the T68i and t39 world I had before that I found that they slowed donw massively as the call lists and contacts built up and it started using the sim memory. I'm guessing it's the sim memory on older sims that is atrocius. I dunno about newer phones my V3 seems fine despite the fact most people hate it.

Soldato
OP
Hmm yeah I reckon it must be the sim memory speed - however, I can't tell what's stored on the SIM and what's stored in the phone memory - is there any way of finding out?

Do you think a newer SIM card would be quicker, and would therefore better to ditch my phone + SIM card and just get a completely new phone?

Soldato
When you say 'how slow mobile phones are', which phones exactly are you refering to? The T610 is horribly slow like it's been said above, and TBH I've never noticed any of my other phones be particularly slow. When you say that navigating the menus are slow this has nothing to do with the sim as it's not accessing any info off there as far as I'm aware

I don't think a new sim would make any diff TBH.

Back
Top Bottom