System Restore.

Soldato
Hi.
Is there some information anywhere about how System Restore in XP works?
I allways set a restore point when i shutdown at the end of the day, but im allways hesitant to 'restore' for minor faults. Ive got it in my mind that each time i do a restore, theres loads of rubbish left around, potentially slowing down my system.
Is there any truth to my 'feeling', or can i do a restore whenever i want without that fear?

Thanks in advance all. :)

Note: Can people please refrain from suggesing other restore products, like ghost, as thats not what im asking. Thanks.

Permabanned
BoomAM said:
Hi.
Ive got it in my mind that each time i do a restore, theres loads of rubbish left around, potentially slowing down my system.

XP's System restore sucks ass BIG TIME!! More often then not it does not even work when you need it too and imho it's a complete waste of system resources and clock cycles!! Much better to do a complete DOS image with Nortons Ghost which works 100% of the time and use's ZERO system resources / clock cycles.

Associate
BittersweetLife said:
XP's System restore sucks *** BIG TIME!! More often then not it does not even work when you need it too and imho it's a complete waste of system resources and clock cycles!! Much better to do a complete DOS image with Nortons Ghost which works 100% of the time and use's ZERO system resources / clock cycles.

agree 90%

but beware with the system restore it will delete other files to when you restore ie .exe and .dll files in your program folders, evan things that are not installed its a big NO NO in my book

ghost is ok unless you use xp64 then that to no worky

Soldato
from the microsoft website
"System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program."

Soldato
BittersweetLife said:
XP's System restore sucks ass BIG TIME!! More often then not it does not even work when you need it too and imho it's a complete waste of system resources and clock cycles!! Much better to do a complete DOS image with Nortons Ghost which works 100% of the time and use's ZERO system resources / clock cycles.
cant say i have seen any speed increase with it off
or any problems with system resources and clock cycles with it on
so that not really a factor

Soldato
OP
I only ask because im beginning to have a few problems on my new laptop, which has an install less than 2 weeks old.
Im fairly certain i wont have problems again, but just in case, i'd like system restore to be working.

Soldato
OP
Nah. Its not a HW fault.
It only started happening when i started disabling some of the stuff that opened on startup. Strangly, re-enabling them didnt fix the fault.
It appears to be fine now.

Back
Top Bottom