2 Fans on one CPU!?

Suspended
Just wondering. Not really thought to much about.

On top of my CPU I have the heatsink and standard 120mm fan. Now if I place another 120mm fan on top of that will I gain in anyway.

Just bored. Have no money but a spare PC kicking about.

So anyone been as bored as me?

Associate
I was curious about this a few months ago :p You need 2 fans, one that spins counter clockwise and the other clockwise but both blowing in the same direction. Apparently the gain isn't really worth the hassle!

Soldato
It will decrease cooling with 2 standard fans, although removing the fan part, using the casing and making a funnel between the fan and heatsink is supposed to remove the dead spot

Suspended
OP
oooo
Just looking for free or very cheap ways to improve on my cooling. I have a 120mm mount at front of case but case fasica has no holes so no air could be drawn in. now should i just bung some holes in it...?

Soldato
^^bung some holes in it, I had an old case with no front vents and even the single 80mm exhaust was struggling to get any air to throw out. Turned out it was sucking air around and through my CD drive which made a horrble dusty mess! Cut some vents at the front and added an intake fan and it all ran beaytifully and much cooler!

Soldato
I ran 2 fans in parrellel both blowing in the same direction and the speed of the bottom fan went up by about 500rpm and CPU temps dropped by a couple of C's. Countless people said it wouldn't / shouldn't work, yet it did. It seemed to work best with about 1cm gap between the 2 fans and the gap sealed with electrical tape. Give it a go if you're bored it's not going to damage anything, post back the results.

Soldato
PieEater said:
I ran 2 fans in parrellel both blowing in the same direction and the speed of the bottom fan went up by about 500rpm and CPU temps dropped by a couple of C's.

Parallel or serial? (Serial being one on top of the other, parallel being side by side).

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Parallel or serial? (Serial being one on top of the other, parallel being side by side).
I guess I mean serial then (one on top of the other), though as you bring it up some people did report good results running 2 fans side by side, I guess the dead spot is smaller that way.

Back
Top Bottom