• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry HDR issue

Soldato
The other day this happened in Far Cry:

What it looked like to me was the HDR effect had frozen in place so I restarted the game then it happened again so I reduced my clock by 5MHz and it was fine until today and this happened :

Now I didn't think it could be my overclock as it's been fine in ATI Tool for 2+ hours and all games for the last 3 months. I'm thinking it's getting to hot as the fan is always dead quiet and last time I checked reached 79C under load.

I'm going to run the 7800GTX at stock now and see what happens.

If anyone has anymore advice it would be much apprieciated.

AMD Asus A8N SLi
AMD64 [email protected]
Freezer 64Pro
Patriot 2GB PC3200 2-3-2-5 1T
POV 7800GTX @ 490/1.30
WD 250GB 16MB Cache
NEC ND 4550
E-MU 040
Hiper Type R 580W
Antec SLK 2500B

Associate
Delete the Farcry profile, that should fix it. Or try using HDR mode 2, it doesn't display those problems. Renaming the Farcry executable to something else will do the job as well, since the profile won't be applied.

Soldato
OP
So this is a knowmn problem then? I thought I would have been okay scince everythinbg is set to application controlled.

Changed it so I'll see how things go then.

Soldato
OP
blackbull said:
How do you activate HDR in Far Cry, I have just downloaded the 1.3 patch. I have a X850XT.

Bring up the console by pressing the "`" key and type in \r_hdrrendering 7

Associate
ps3ud0 said:
Doesnt work on the X8** series - need a SM3.0 compliant GFX card as Farcry uses that path to produce the HDR effects...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Thats what I thought, but I read this yesterday and this why I downloaded the v1.3 patch!!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=201&type=expert&pid=7

this sentence is particularly pertinent.

"The new Far Cry 1.3 patch finally brings the features that the 1.2 patch was supposed to give us. This includes support for SM3.0 for the NVIDIA 6800 and 6600 line of cards as well as the SM2.0b that ATI has enabled in their latest drivers."

I will give a go anyway and see what difference it makes, Lost Coast looks great using SM2.0b, I was less impressed with Day of Defeat though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheers for the info - interesting...

I have to admit Ive got the 1.32 patch installed IIRC and just didnt think to try and enable HDR, perhaps I might give it a go if I reinstall it...

Looks like theres a 1.33 patch out now aswell - perhaps thats what Im after...

Caporegime
blackbull said:
How do you activate HDR in Far Cry, I have just downloaded the 1.3 patch. I have a X850XT.

You can't run HDR on that card, it doesn't support it. You will need a card that support SM3.0 and floating point blending like the Nvidia 7800/6800/6600 and ATI X1800/X1900.

Caporegime
Not really - you could check to see if the issue is actually caused by HDR or not and take it from there - would have thought a farcry reinstall might be the quickest way to solve it...

Best way to fix something is to identify the problem by trial and error - the simplest solution is usually the correct one ;)

Associate
D.P. said:
You can't run HDR on that card, it doesn't support it. You will need a card that support SM3.0 and floating point blending like the Nvidia 7800/6800/6600 and ATI X1800/X1900.

D.P. I have just played Far Cry with HDR using SM2.0b on my X850XT. As stated in a previous post I made;

"The new Far Cry 1.3 patch finally brings the features that the 1.2 patch was supposed to give us. This includes support for SM3.0 for the NVIDIA 6800 and 6600 line of cards as well as the SM2.0b that ATI has enabled in their latest drivers."

Looks good too. Just make sure you have all your settings at their highest and it actually use HDR rendering by default. The only thing I have switched off is AA which at 1024 x 768 is not needed on my 17" CRT monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom