tannoy reveal

Soldato
im wanting a set of passive speakers and came accross these, anyone know if they are any good? id be using them as monitors for recording mixes and possible a bit of producing if im any good at it

Caporegime
I use them in an editing suite and they sound pretty decent, nothing to compare them to, but the studio next door uses Tannoy monitors (not the reveals) as well, so they must have something going for them.

Soldato
They are very good monitors, probably one of the best entry lvl passives.
If you spend a little more you could get behringer truth actives which are good to.

Soldato
OP
ive looked for the behringer's but there seems to be a lot of different versions? what are these like compared to the tannoys?

thanks for the replys :)

Associate
ohh this got me going, so I had to register. was only looking at the processor section :)

1st question
why passive?

any studio monitors that come with internal amps will usually be better than having a seperate amp and passive speakers. why? because the amp is designed to suit the speakers.
natural sounding monitors is necessary for mixing and mastering.a bog std amp will colour the sound.
now, if you have a spare 300quid amp lying around then passives should be fine. make sure your ohms match though.

My suggestions:

Tannoy reveals only reveal one thing. bass. they are bass heavy and not very true.

behringer truths. nothing truthful about them. average monitors, but not really even semi pro std. they are a copy of another make. genelec. very high end monitors. but the truths dont compare at all.

i would suggest going to http://studio-central.com/phpbb/ forums and having a look at their monitor section.

after saying all this I am sure a top producer could produce a far better mix on passive tannoys and a sony 50quid amp, than i could using mackie HR's @ 500quid a side!
therefore knowing your equipment and how it sounds in comparison to your room, other speakers etc is essential.

oh and Hi all. new to the forum :)

Soldato
OP
ive had a look at some of the event's, the tr6 to be precise, and ive found it on an american site for £230 (pair), and on an english site for £325 (FOR ONE!)

am i missing something lol

Associate
they arent 325 each surely?
thought they were priced as pairs.

alesis monitor 1's. should come in @ 220quid a pair.
Genelec 8020A come in at 400 a pair.

krk RP6 (my fav's...defo my next speaker purchase) @ 320 a pair. highly rated by all. also the 6" cone has good response compared to 5" in any other price range.
also front firing so positioning is not a huge issue (back firing enclosues require 8-18" behind them for responce!!!)

event tr6 320 a pair (to be confirmed...edit: confirmed 325 a pair). rate against the KRK's, and are far superior to the behringers.

Just my opinions of course.
I would suggest active speakers. it just makes sense. I dont have active at my PC, only a NAD amp and modunt short speakers. wish I had actives.
but we do have actives in the house for mixing and recording. much much better.

if you want some sites to purchase from send me a pm (dont want to get banned too early in my posting career).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ive found the krk rp6's for 300inc delivery, and on another site for 279 inc delivery, but id rather use a bigger online store (and this one has a price matching promise) :)

thanks for the info mate you have saved me wasting a lot of money ;)

Associate
I've had a pair of Truths - didnt stop breaking. Got rid of them now, and i'm going to treat myself to a pair of the alesis monitor 1's.

Soldato
OP
got them late on, at first i wasnt impressed with the quality for mixing with, but after a short while i got used to them and they are a quality bit of kit :) i got some concorde nightclub s to replace my concorde om (black) and the sound quality is amazing.

i cant find any info on burning them in, what would you suggest?

Associate
i just ran them at low ish volume for a few days before really cranking them
there is only so far i can get them anyways before it is too loud in my little 7x11 bedroom :)

Back
Top Bottom