XP120 orientation

Associate
In both the manual and on the web page the h/s is shown with the heat pipes oreinted over the "step" on a K8 CPU slot (OK it isn't a step any more but it used to be in the old days - it is a cream coloured piece of plastic). If I mount it that way round on a DFI NF4 Expert, the heat pipes obstruct dimm slot 4. The contact patch seems to be about the same if I mount it the other way round so mechanically it should yield the same results. The fins are still above the dimm slot and I'm sure the HS will do the same job I just wanted to check before I put the board into the case.

Does conventional wisdom dictate that fans should blow air into the fins or suck air through them?

Tim

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I found it really difficult to resist the blow comments myself! Any thoughts on orientation? I'm pretty sure it's OK as the CPU has a full contact patch. I've got some Arctic Silver 3 (it's been in the fridge) from my last system build. I'm sure it is better than the gunk that Thermalright include, do the instructions still suggest a paper thin layer on the CPU, and just rub what's left over into the base of the heatsink to fill any micro holes?

Tim

Associate
OP
What I have realised is that the DFI boards really are made with enthusiasts in mind - you could spend your entire life just tweaking and never actually using the PC for anything!

Tim

Back
Top Bottom