Want to watch Hi-Def DVDs? Make sure you have HDMI

Soldato
Its all to protect the industry and you can thank Intel as they are the creators of HDCP. Vista will also support HDCP flagging as will any graphics card that can connect digitally to a monitor or HDTV.

All is not lost as some but not all older HDTVs with DVI are HDCP compatible for those that purchased sets that only have component, i think they knew this day would come eventually. I for one waited untill HDMI arrived before purchasing.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Flibster said:
So - with my more than 1080i capable CRT monitors - I will be able to play less than HD...

Nice.... :mad:

Simon/~Flibster

Dont worry mate, think how succesful macrovision protection was :p this will be the same

Soldato
I'm gonna wait a few years for BlueRay/HD-DVD anyhew!... till TV's have 3 or more HDMI connectors, Screen Sizes upto 80" at an affordable price (about a grand!!), Players either come with both BlurRay and HD-DVD capability or there is a clear winner (VHS over Betamax) in the war and the Price of Movies is down to DVD level!!......

I'll just stick with my 1366x786 480p/720p/1080i 32" LCD HD-iDTV and an Upscaling DVD Player on the single HDMI connector, with SkyHD on the Component Connectors!...

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
There was a news article somewhere just the other day suggesting that they are bring out a new connection format and that HDMI might not actually be the daddy after all :eek:

You're thinking of UDI which has a much higher bandwidth than HDMI/DVI (16 Gb/s as opposed to 5 GB/s on HDMI/DVI)

Soldato
Or it could be DisplayPort.

UDI doesn't carry audio signals, so that's more of a step back really.

I long for the day of buying a totally digital TV. I don't want any bloat like SCARTs, RFs, S-video or Composites. I want a TV with a DVI, 4 or so HDMI ports, Component inputs, and anything else that's digital.

Back
Top Bottom