Is it possible to do this without a router?

Associate
Hi

Having a bit of an issue, my router has stopped working properly and TBH I really don't want to fork out much for a new one so am wondering if theres a way to do it this way...

I have a PC and an XBOX 360 in the same room with a Blueyondr cable modem and at the moment I have to keep switching the cable to connect both....which is obviously a silly way to be doing it.

Is there any form or adaptor that allows 2 RJ45 cables to be connected to one modem.
As far as I know its NOT possible without the use of a router but still want to know...is there anything?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I've just found something

Soldato
Running ICS on the PC is the cheapest option. But it'll mean you need a second network card in your PC (if you don't already have a second ethernet interface) and the PC has to be on.

Soldato
Not sure how ICS would work with the Xbox - dont think it would cause any problems though. As above PC then becomes the first port of call for internet in the house so must be left on for Xbox to connect. Would need firewall software etc setting up too as windows PC with a direct, unprotected connection is a bit of a security deathtrap :)

Associate
Would need firewall software etc setting up too as windows PC with a direct, unprotected connection is a bit of a security deathtrap
WINDOWS is a security deathtrap "."
ICS or layer3 switch. Layer3 switch being effectively a router but costing bumloads more and :. irrelevant.
Second NIC isn't necessary for ICS if your modem supports USB connection.
but tbh, Wired routers are cheap as chips these days.

Soldato
tolien said:
Yeah, but that's turning the PC into a router :p
All a router does is take packets through one interface, and make some kind of decision as to what interface they should be sent out of. It doesn't matter whether the hardware was designed specifically for that or not, as long as it has network interfaces and routing software it can be a router. In the case of a home network it's simply a stub network so it's simple for a PC to router the packets, it's either coming from the internet going to one of your machines, or going out to the internet.

If it's not clear from that, I'm agreeing with you completely :D

Just out of interest how does a layer 3 switch operate? I'm guessing it operates just like a layer 2 switch but uses IP addresses instead of MAC addresses. Kind of pointless for a simple network since a router/layer 2 switch combo (which is any home router) performs the same function.

ICS does work with an XBox. In the past I've had problems with ICS because it wouldn't assign IP addresses properly, but generally it works ok.

This post probably goes into a lot more detail that neccessary but nevermind :o

Soldato
Maniac618 said:
to what though? the same IP as my PC?

1 digit higher, e.g. the PC should be 192.168.0.1, so set the xbox to 192.168.0.2, with the gateway & dns set to 192.168.0.1

If it's not getting the IP automatically it suggest another issue though, such as a firewall blocking it.

Associate
Phil99 said:
1 digit higher, e.g. the PC should be 192.168.0.1, so set the xbox to 192.168.0.2, with the gateway & dns set to 192.168.0.1

If it's not getting the IP automatically it suggest another issue though, such as a firewall blocking it.

but i dont have a router so my thing isn't 192.168 etc.

Caporegime
It doesnt matter wether you've got a router or not 192.168. is the default address for lans im assuming, anyway make sure your using a crossover cable to connect your pc to the xbox.

5 port Switches cost next to nothing, you could buy one of those and you wouldnt need to have the pc on all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maniac618 said:
but i dont have a router so my thing isn't 192.168 etc.

ICS = Router though

It does exactly the same, in that basically it allows multiple LAN PCs (usually 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0) to access 1 WAN (Internet) IP

If you open command prompt (start -> run -> cmd) and type ipconfig (then press enter) what does it say?

Associate
Phil99 said:
ICS = Router though

It does exactly the same, in that basically it allows multiple LAN PCs (usually 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0) to access 1 WAN (Internet) IP

If you open command prompt (start -> run -> cmd) and type ipconfig (then press enter) what does it say?

ethernet adapter network bridge

media state ..... disconnected.

ppp adapter ontel broadband

IP 88.144.20...
subnet mask255.255.255.255
default gateway 88.144.20...

please dont hack me thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
May as well just edit out the last couple of digits from the IP.

What do you get with the xbox plugged in and turned on?

Also, in Network Connections do you have a "Local Area Connection"

If you have a Network bridge in there as well, delete it as it's not required.

Also try running the network setup wizard in XP with the xbox connected and turned on.

Associate
right.........

thanks so much. it's working, just did a wizard and it worked, sorry for being silly enough to think that wouldn't work in the first place, i bypassed trying the wizard completely :)

thanks.

Soldato
So the XBOX now gets an IP address but fails at the ICMP (Ping) part of the network tests?

Sounds like a firewall issue if so, do you have a seperate firewall installed other than the standard Windows XP one?

Back
Top Bottom