Anyone else think Sin City was Style over substance?

Soldato
Saw it last night and must admit I was disappointed.

I suspect it was trying to be cheesy, but be cool because of it, but I found it just cheesy.

I'm sure most of the population were won over by the style of the film though.

I see it got mixed reviews too (mostly positive).

I just thought it was superficial and didn't have any clever qualities. I'd draw parallel with 'Fast and Furious' - fill a film with cool visuals (violence / fast cars) and women and you're onto a real winner! :rolleyes:

Anybody care to change my mind for me or agree with me?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I approached it as if it was just a live action version of the original comic books, which essentially it is, in fact they probably couldn't make it closer since they've lifted the dialogue and style directly from them.

I've only seen it once and I was certainly impressed by the visuals. I may watch it again before judging it overall though.

Associate
This was easily my film of 2005

Nothing even came close to how good this movie was.

Excellent visuals, brilliant stories, fantastic directing everything about it was simply amazing.

Cant wait for 2 to arrive now :D

Neil

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Maybe that's what I'm missing as I have NO idea about the comic books, but I would imagine neither would the majority of the cinema-going public?

I've only seen frames from them on the TV, never actually read them myself! My only experience of the style is from the Max Payne video games, but that gave me enough of an idea of what to expect from the movie. I knew it was going to be gritty, the heroes practically superhuman, and the dialogue exactly as it was from the comics. I guess that small amount of knowledge allowed me to get into it more without first having to understand the style of it.

Associate
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Anybody care to change my mind for me or agree with me?

I agree with you for the most part, but I didn't like it for more reasons than that though.

I though the first two parts weren't that bad, but the last part was abysmal. It felt so long by that point and the only thing keeping me awake was Jessica Alba and it seemed like the story structure was ripped of Pulp Fiction.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
first time i watched it, it was totally awesome. i havent been able to watch it all the way through since. maybe i need to watch it on a massive screen...but i think i just enjoyed the fact that it was something a bit different. not exactly got great longevity imho.

Soldato
I'd been up all night with mates playing on the XBox and we started to watch it at about 6 in the morning. I was into it at the start but I fell asleep near the end, not because I wasn't enjoying it.

I enjoyed the majority of what I managed to stay awake to see but I'd have to watch it again to have an oppinion on the content. Obviously, visually it's very good but I need a fully working brain to judge content.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cruiser said:
i didn't even watch the whole film, turned it off after an hour and a half. it was visually attractive but didn't go beyond that in any way

I did that with Fast and Furious. Now THAT was a bad film. At least Sin City was good enough to watch all the way through.

Man of Honour
I have to admit, the second veiwing did take some of the 'magic' away...

The line "get him marv... get him good" made me 'lol'.

Soldato
I've got to be honest, i thought it was rubbish.
There are not many films that make me turn off after 15 minutes.
But this did.

Back
Top Bottom