Cat 1 alarms... opinions and reccommendations please!

Caporegime
Some nice muggins have reccommended that I get a Cat 1 alarm for my car and I know sod-all about them. I am just wondering do they offer any major advantages over Cat 2 alarms, as in make it seriosuly mroe difficult for thieves? What sort of price will I be looking at consdering I am on a tight-ish budget (~£200 or thereabouts)?

Can anyone reccommend any for me? I live in the West Sussex area just outside Crawley. :)

Soldato
Aye, Cat 1 systems are designed for cars that are targets for serious thieves...so you can pretty much disable the engine. Overkill on a clio.

If it were me I'd save my money, and just don't leave your headunit cover in the car anyway. Your car insurance (even TPF&T) should give you some cover for your stereo..enough unless you have some sort of mental system in there.

Caporegime
OP
Ahh that's good to hear, it will stay garaged anyway most of the time. It's just ithat in my other thread someone was really reccommending getting one but I wasnt sure whether the cost would be worth it...

Caporegime
OP
I already have an immobiliser (definately got one of those) and a Cat 2 alarm (I think) as I believe they were standard on the 1997 CLio 1.4 RT.

I also heard that you need to get some special nuts or something to protect alloys from theft>

Soldato
I agree with [TW]Fox and eidolon on this one.. whilst there are lots of alarms out there the decent ones are well outside your budget (starting at £300 and going up to £1000). in all honesty you would just be buying a "noise maker" for that money.

you can get basic models which will give you remote/+central locking but if your car already has those features just keep it as it is and invest in some window stickers and a flashing LED to deter car thieves. one useful hint is never leave an aftermarket headunit inside or anything valuable on display when you park up.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah no worries about that, my stereo face will be taken out religiously when not secure in the garage. It just arrived today too so will be going in tonight hopefully...

I'll look into the stickers etc, cheers for the advice folks.

Man of Honour
There is no Cat 2 and alarm - Category 2 is a thatcham approved Immobiliser, Category 1 is a thatcham approved immobiliser along with an approved alarm.

Soldato
whereabouts near crawley?

my parents live in east grinstead and i worked in crawley for 3 years, never had any problems there :)

Caporegime
OP
Hate said:
whereabouts near crawley?

my parents live in east grinstead and i worked in crawley for 3 years, never had any problems there :)

Heh I live in Ashurst Wood mate just outside east grinstead, quiet spot with very little trouble. But my girlfriend lives in the dodgy bit of East Grinstead just behind Superdrug. I'd also worry about leaving my car in parts of crawley, brighton etc. :)

Soldato
heh, live in brighton now

prelude's been fine :)

i know the area you mention, but its not really "dodgy" - trust me east grinstead is pretty good as far as things go.

I know ashurst wood too :p

Associate
I got a Toad ai606 fitted by a guy from birmingham for £200 :) , it might be pointless on my car but I like having peace of mind when parked outside my house at night.

Back
Top Bottom