• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

fan control on agp x850xt

Associate
I've been using ati tool to setup the speed of my Asus x850xt cooling fan as at stock it only spins at about 15% until it reaches 85'c and temps were getting too high so I changed the set points and rpm rates so that now it never gets higher than 63'c under load. Unfortunatly a side effect from not using the stock setup was a high pitched noise coming fron the card. At first I thought it was a noisey fan and thought about replacing it with a Zalman but noticed when I done a fresh install and without ati tools installed and controling the fan the noise wasn't there :confused:
Anyways, after realising that it was only making the noise when I used ati tool to control the fan i decided to try ati tray tools instead. I set the fan speeds exactly the same as in ati tools and hey presto same temps and speeds but no high pitched noise :D :D seems that the way ati tool controls the fans causes this noise but the way ati tray tools controls it doesnt :confused:
Just thought I'd mention this incase anyone else had similar problems with a high pitched noise coming from the card that drives them insane as it might save them 20 odd quid on a new cooler like it did me as the stock cooler is now keeping the card cool and is nice an quiet at the same time:D

Associate
Forgive me for being dumb, but i dont tend to mess around with the settings on my graphics cards. Is Ati tray ok to run alongside CCC? I just ask cos its always in the tray and i know it has overclocking abilities. Its just the noise of the fan on mine is driving me nuts. It's about 3 weeks old and has been pretty loud since i got it. Louder than it should be just normally and very loud when playing games for any length of time. Same high pitched whine you get.

Associate
OP
yeh I dont use the ccc to control anything, its installed but just use the ati tray tool now. The whine I was getting wasn't the fan itself but coming from the card itself when using the ati tool to control it, must have been the way it reduced the power to the fan and was sending it elsewhere?

Associate
Any settings you could recommend for the fans to keep them quiet (ish) and the card cool at the same time? Gpu fans are probably the one thing i haven't messed with on this pc lately so dont really wanna set this which is probably one of the simplest changes wrong lol :eek:

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom