New Overclock memory question

Associate
Hello,

I just want to know what people would suggest I buy on the memory side. I'm after a 2gig option (2 one gig sticks, no too expensive) around £100 to £150 for the pair.

My Poor System is:
AMD 64 3200
Abit Fatality AN8 SLI 939 Board
Geforce 7800 GT card
SATA 250gig HD
Kingston 512 Value RAM.

Would I see much of a performance upgrade? compared to the money I'd be spending on the RAM?

I was thinking of getting Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS) from here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html

I do a lot of games playing, this upgrade is in prep for battlefront 2.

I don't know much about over clocking etc and I'm busy reading all the helpful forum posts to give me more info.

Thanks for you time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
512meg isn't really good enough these days, so you should get a nice boost from 2gig RAM in most modern games. That's a decent set of RAM you've picked out too.

Battlefront2 isn't all that demanding and will run very well on that system with some more memory.

Associate
OP
Exellent - I'll look into that G Skill i don't really understand all that 2/2/2 business I've read info on it but still don't understand it lol.

You have any other suggestions on other memory? If they perform nearly aswell and are Cheaper that would be music to my ears.

Associate
OP
man_from_uncle said:
I meant the G Skill ZX, not the HS, though the HS is pretty good too.

This.....

--------------
G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 (2x1GB) CAS2 Dual Channel Kit (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) (MY-007-GS)
GSKILL successfully launched high performance ExtremeMemory Series memory modules in 2GB, 1GB and 512MB capacities. ExtremeMemory Series consist of dual channel and single channel series. GSKILL continues to utilizes the latest advanced technology in product development. The high performance ExtremeMemory Series is engineered for superior performance in an extreme environment. GSKILL 2-3-2-5 SERIES Dual Channel Edition PC-3200 memory is specifically designed for high frequency operation on Intel 865/875 and Nvidia Nforce 2/Nforce 3/Nforce4 chipset based motherboards. Through the use of G.SKILL .

***Stunning Low Price - OcUK Exclusive!!***

- Package : 2048MB kit (2x1GB) dual channel pack
- CAS Latency : 2-3-2-5 (PC3200)
- Test Voltage : 2.6 ~ 2.75 V
- PCB Board : 6 Layers PCB
- Speed : DDR 400 MHz (PC3200)
- Type : 184-pin DDR SDRAM
- Error Checking : Non-ECC
- Registered/Unbuffered : Unbuffered
- Quality Control : Comprehensive rigorously tested in pair at dual channel environment
- Warranty : Lifetime

Price: £134.95 (£158.57 Including VAT at 17.5%)
------------------------

Is better that this?...

-----------------

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
A matched pair of 1GB XMS3200C2PT memory modules - 2GB total - ideal for dual DDR motherboards. Memory timings of 2-3-3-6. Ideal for performance users who require large amounts of memory for the latest applications and games available without sacrificing performance as these Corsair modules are capable of running the aggressive timings of just 2-3-3-6 giving exellent performance for those who demand the best.
Price: £139.95 (£164.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)
--------------

This why?
GSKILL 2-3-2-5
Corsair 2-3-3-6

And it's OK with my AMD cpu?

Associate
Simply put, lower is faster. And with an AMD cpu, having these numbers as low as possible is more important than having a high FSB. (Well it's actually a matter of balance, but it's more important than it used to be and more important than it is with Intel chips).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom