BH-5 or TCCD memory, what the...?

Associate
Am I being completely stupid here... what's the difference between BH-5 and TCCD memory? (Not after a complete technical description :p) Are there any performance/major compatability issues? Can one be overclocked more than another (I think I saw that the BH-5 takes more voltage or something when doing a quick search through forums for an answer - though I might have missed it!)

I'm planning to upgrade my system in next couple of days and I will have:

DFI SLI-DR Expert
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT memory

At least that's the plan (say if there's any other info needed to answer question).

Which is best "type" of memory for the board (I think it can use either) and what type of memory would the Corsair be that I'm looking at buying? (It's great, things get reduced in price the week I'm looking at buying them! yeay ;))

Man of Honour
BH-5 is quite hard to come by these days. For a new 2gig kit ideally you would be getting TCCD I'd guess.

Generally speaking BH-5 is best for timings and TCCD best for raw FSB. So unless you are planning on overclocking heavily (HTT>260) then BH-5 is probably the best option.

Associate
OP
Not planning to heavily overclock - at least not straight away (but got the DFI board so I can play around with my setup in the future!)

Know if the Corsair memory is BH-5 or TCCD? Or where I might find out... had a look at corsair.com website, but didn't see anything about it, might have just missed it though.

Associate
In a nutshell:

BH-5, BH-6, CH-5, UTT - High volts, tight timings, lower mhz than TCCD.

TCCD, TCC5, UCCC, Infineon B/CE-6 - Low volts, slack timings, high mhz.

The chips currently dominating the 2GB market are the UCCC, Infineon and Micron -5B D. The Micron chips seem to respond well to a bit of voltage but like the slacker timings, which is why I didn't put them in either category.

Hope this clears things up for you a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom