• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best clocking AVAILABLE S939 cpu ?

Soldato
Basically I am looking for 3ghz on air with a multi of at least 10.
Which chips are most likely to get this without costing a bomb ?
As Opterons are like rocking hoss doo-doo, is there anything else around that has a good chance ?

Soldato
OP
mightynimrod said:
You could go for a cheapy FX57 seeing as the Opterons have knocked the floor out of their value lately.

Other than that, just wait for a decent Opteron to come up in the MM

Cheapy ?? I wouldn't call them cheap ;)

Currently have my 4000 @ 2.6ghz, so really I think its going to need 3ghz for me to notice much difference, but for some odd reason I seem to have an aversion to paying so much for a little square thing :p
On the other hand if you have anything of interest about to go on sale, drop me a mail (I always seem to miss the MM bargains lol) ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheapy ?? I wouldn't call them cheap

LOL i meant in relation to what they cost new.......they can be had for £400-£450 now which is considerably cheaper than new prices.

Opterons the way for near-3ghz cheapness then.

Just wait for one as they seem to come up in the MM regularly.

Soldato
OP
Are 3700 SD's 2ghz stock ?
2.8 isnt enough of a boost for me personally over my 4000 @ 2.6ghz
What are the X2 3800 clocking like, and does half the L2 cache slow it down for gaming ?
Could possibly risk that route if I can reach 2.8, as at least I can have dual cores so something has improved ;)

Caporegime
I'd say 2.8ghz for an x2 3800 would need to be under water imo.
2.6ghz on air yes

someone please tell if they are running 2.8ghz x2 3800 on air:)

if your going dual get an opteron 170 ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
easyrider said:
if your going dual get an opteron 170 ;)

Lol .. I did mention available ;)
What is a 170 at stock speeds, and what sort of UK price out of interest , if they ever come available.

Soldato
OP
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Why does the multi matter?

How many boards will push much more than 300 fsb/htt stable without major mods ;) (Apart from yours :p)
I am getting an Asus A8R-MVP board tommorow, reviews I have seen have just topped around 320, but I might not be so lucky, so basically to have any chance of hitting 3ghz I need at least a 10 multi.

It will be a couple of weeks or so before I look to go this way, hopefully by then their might be some suitable chips around.
I guess I wouldn't mind paying more for something that was sure to get that magic 3ghz stable on air.

If not I will stick to my trusty 4000 @ 2.6, just seems that CPU's are not moving forwards at that much of a pace these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom