Faulty new car, what are my rights?

Associate
I know some of you (Fox ;)) will bash me for even making this thread as I bought a new Corsa even though the majority told me "no" on my Corsa thread a few months back :p

As of this moment, the car is three and a half months old and have so far been in the dealer five times for repair on various problems. One main problem, a squealing noise when the engine is revved, has existed since day one of ownership and I was told that it would go away after a few thousand miles, which it didn't. It was identified as an air con fault last week (it has taken them 3 months to find that out) which was replaced but it still didn't solve the problem :rolleyes: Another two issues are still outstanding and still not fixed on the past two visits.

The managers from both the sales and service department from the dealership are fully aware of the problem with the car and to be truthful, are trying their best to resolve it with no positive results being returned each time I get the car back. After receiving my car back (which was with them for 3 days on the last visit), the faults listed in the previous paragraph returned within a day, I promptly contacted the managers who advised me to contact Vauxhall directly as they were running out of solutions.

Vauxhall Customer Care, who are helpful as always :rolleyes: told me that there is nothing they can do. They are fully aware that the car has problems as it has been logged down but after a lengthy discussion, they said it was a dealer problem and any problems with the car should be referred to the dealer, not to Vauxhall :mad:

The dealer could only recommend that I bring the car in again for another repair session after hearing what VX Customer Care said. Now, I've got some sketchy ideas about "The Sale of Goods Act 1979" and was wondering what my rights are. AFAIK, this car is a broken product which the manufacturer has so far refused to help whatsoever.

---List of problems to date---
Purchased: 30 September 2005

Unsolved Issues
Air Con
- Intermittent whining noise at over 2000rpm, after pump replacement, the noise now exist at 1500rpm and above
(Reported 1, 27 Oct 2005 | 1, 7, 14 Nov 2005 | 6 Dec 2005 | 10, 23 Jan 2006)
Latest: Found to be an air con issue, replaced air con pump so far...

Brakes
- Intermittent groaning noise when turning & moving slowly
(Reported 14 Nov 2005 | 6 Dec 2005 | 10, 23 Jan 2006)
Latest: Adjusted brakes as it is a known problem with Tigra and Corsas

Suspension/Springs?
- Knocking / clicking noise when driving on uneven roads or over speed bumps
(Reported 14 Nov 2005 | 6 Dec 2005 | 10, 23 Jan 2006)
Latest: Could not generate knocking noise, therefore cannot repair

Solved Issues
Brakes
- Loud grinding noise when braking
(Reported 3 Oct 2005)
Solution: Faulty brake pads replaced

Handbrake
- Loud groaning noise
- Struggles to hold on steep inclines
(Reported 27 Oct 2005)
Solution: Tested, lubricated rear drums

Gearbox
- Intermittent issue engaging second or third gear
(Reported 14 Nov 2005)
Solution: Resetted gear linkage

Starting car
- Car refuses to start at random
(Reported 27 Oct 2005)
Solution: Updated computer software

Unsolvable Issues
Alarm
- Goes off at random
(Reported 27 Oct 2005)
Reason: Alarm design issue

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That list just is not acceptable, i would be talking to them very sternly about getting another car or preferably a full refund. That is utter madness.

If they refuse to do anything then i would be talking to the citizens advice, they should be able to point you in the right direction or hoe to escalate this.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Before going to trading standards I think it would be best to see about getting a refund. I think you should at least try and be curtious to the deaership, as you said they are trying their best. See what the dealership says and if your not happy then talk to the trading standards and CAB.

Soldato
tzang said:
Handbrake
- Loud groaning noise
- Struggles to hold on steep inclines
(Reported 27 Oct 2005)
Solution: Tested, lubricated rear drums

Lubricated the drums?? No wonder they don't work very well :D

Personaly I would approach the CAB to check exactly what your rights are.

Associate
Get Vauxhall involved - any money the dealer says they have spent fixing your car will have been authorised by them and they will be very interested to learn of your experiences with one of their dealers....

Caporegime
I would talk to CAB and figure my rights before going any further, I think you have to give the dealer enough chance to resolve any issues before asking for a refund.

Contact Vauxhall and book the car in, upon signing for your Hire car inform them you don't want your car back until all problems listed are fully resolved since its unreasonable etc, drive off with the hire car and wait for the dealer to call with your "Fixed" car, test it before signing it off as fixed if its not fixed leave it at the dealer and drive off in the hire car.

Mark

Associate
We had a similar situation with Ford last year, had purchased a new Focus that had an intermittent problem with over revving when braking.

Fords Policy was if they failed to fix the fault within three attempts an engineer was appointed to do a report on the car, we were subsequently offered an equivalent replacement Focus same age mileage as over a year had passed since purchase.

I would think Vauxhall must have a similar system if failed to fix within so many attempts or certain time frame.

-----------------------------------

Associate
OP
Baron_Samedi said:
Get Vauxhall involved - any money the dealer says they have spent fixing your car will have been authorised by them and they will be very interested to learn of your experiences with one of their dealers....
Vauxhall has told me they are aware of the problem but have constantly insisted over the phone that it is a dealer problem, not theirs :(
The dealer has already been in touch with Vauxhall technicians AFAIK and hence after hearing the problems returning on my last visit, the dealer told me they were running out of solutions.

Firestar_3x said:
Contact Vauxhall and book the car in, upon signing for your Hire car inform them you don't want your car back until all problems listed are fully resolved since its unreasonable etc, drive off with the hire car and wait for the dealer to call with your "Fixed" car, test it before signing it off as fixed if its not fixed leave it at the dealer and drive off in the hire car.
I said that to them on my last visit, upon taking the car back, I was assured everything was fixed, when I drove away it seemed like everything was fixed but alas, after getting home, the problems returned :o

Stiff_Cookie said:
I think you should at least try and be curtious to the deaership, as you said they are trying their best.
I've been very patient and friendly to the dealership so far... until my last conversation with one of the managers ended with "live with the problem", coming from the manager's mouth :eek: I've travelled over 600 miles to and from the dealer (so far) just to get my Corsa fixed... it is a waste of time and fuel cost.

I'm now in process of booking my car in one last time to give the dealer their final chance with a signed letter giving them a final ultimatum, fix it or refund/replace it. Thanks for the advice so far :)

Caporegime
Just start saying things like "Unfit for Purpose" and they will soon get the message, print off a copy of the law and how it protects you from such things, if the guy trys to fob you off give him the page and say are you familiar with trading standards.

Associate
OP
Had a very long chat with the manager at the dealer who could offer nothing but sympathy. He was happy to recommend me on what to do and even encouraged me to take it up with Trading Standards against Vauxhall (but he wasn't too keen when I mentioned legal advice :p). The car is also booked in for another session in early February.

A call to Vauxhall UK was made after and I didn't hold back this time, making a big fuss out of the entire situation (I do feel sorry for the girl on the other side of the line though). Vauxhall has now assured me that the Customer Care manager will himself handle the situation and will talk with the dealer tomorrow to resolve the situation and get back to me.

Some progress being made but that whining noise from the air con is still driving me nuts when I drove home this evening.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention about refund/replacement cars as advised by Jez, the dealer has said they are most reluctant to issue a refund and prefer the path of a replacement vehicle from Vauxhall although only Vauxhall can decide who does what. Not sure what the hassle is but I suppose the dealer loses out on a refund?

Last edited:
Caporegime
tough tbh, the car isnt fit for the job and you deserve a replacement or imo a refund.
you have lost confidence in vauxhall sales and service/support and have no desire to drive one of their cars.

Associate
OP
Morba said:
you have lost confidence in vauxhall sales and service/support and have no desire to drive one of their cars.

I have no confidence at all. Anyone who bought a car brand new would expect a near perfect product. I've already expressed my reluctance to get the car into repair after the fifth visit. I admit I do like the Corsa, they aren't the best of cars but Corsa Cs are known for their reliability but the problems I've had so far has put me off it completely.

To add more insult, they (the dealer, Allams of Epsom) are keen on lending me their courtesy cars, which, to be rather blunt, are horrid piece of junk that isn't even roadworthy. We all know courtesy cars are ragged, etc... but something that is so badly maintained that you can't even hear yourself speak until you turn the engine off (even loud music can't drown the engine noise) and has about 0.1 litre of fuel remaining the minute you are given the courtesy car does give me something to look forward to other than my car :rolleyes: (perhaps I'm demanding too much and comparing customer services to my aunt's BMW dealership, near my VX dealer, or my sister's friend's Porsche dealership, also near my VX dealer).

Will wait and see what VX says when they get back to me in the morning :(

Permabanned
This amongst many other reasons is why not to buy brand new, if you must have 'new' get one over 6 months old that has covered about 10k. If its fine then itll still be fine at 50k

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
This amongst many other reasons is why not to buy brand new, if you must have 'new' get one over 6 months old that has covered about 10k. If its fine then itll still be fine at 50k

If only my 307 has been in and out the garage at least once a month for every month i have owned it 6 months.. it had 25,000 on the clock and was 2 and a half years old when i got it. Its going in to get the hydraulic tappets replaced on Wednesday.. absolute piece of junk :rolleyes:

Its been in the garage about 10 times.

Soldato
Amps said:
If only my 307 has been in and out the garage at least once a month for every month i have owned it 6 months.. it had 25,000 on the clock and was 2 and a half years old when i got it. Its going in to get the hydraulic tappets replaced on Wednesday.. absolute piece of junk :rolleyes:

Its been in the garage about 10 times.

Ditto, I'm getting rid of my 307 too. 3yrs old when I bought it, owned it 9 months and been in the garage about 30 times :o

Associate
no he is saying that if you buy a car that is 6 months old and when you buy it it drives fine with no problems or noises, the likelyhood is that it will be fine for a fair few miles, you tend to get new cars that are duds quite often:/ so sometimes better to buy a tried and tested one :)

Back
Top Bottom