Opteron 144 UP overclocking

Soldato
just recently got one of these for my bros new comp (before the price rises!! :D) and want to know roughly what it can do. the processor received was the CAB2E stepping and currently it's sitting happy at 1.8ghz stock.

It's in a comp with the following spec :

Hiper 480W PSU
Asus A8n-E ultra
Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT)
Sapphire x800 GTO
Seagate Barracuda 80GB
NEC 16x DVD-RW

Now i'm no stranger to overclocking with this board but I am a little short on time within which to do it, and I want to test it with Prime or some such program overnight so want to get it clocked soon.

I was hoping to clock it to 2.4ghz for stable 24/7 usage, has anyone else had experience clocking this cpu on a similar setup? if so what settings did you go with?

EDIT - also what sort of temps should i be looking at? whats a safe vcore to stay under?

Last edited:
Associate
If you read the opteron overclocking thread you will get all the advice you need. The only possible problem i could point out is you bought a cabbage (CAB2E) and these are renowned as poor overclockers. 2.4 may be possible but is not guaranteed.

Soldato
Soul Rider said:
If you read the opteron overclocking thread you will get all the advice you need. The only possible problem i could point out is you bought a cabbage (CAB2E) and these are renowned as poor overclockers. 2.4 may be possible but is not guaranteed.

Ermmmmmmmmmm, nope. Totally wrong information.

The 'cabbage' CPU's are CABGE and NOT CAB2E. But your overclocking will vary.

Associate
my 144 CAB2E benched over 3Ghz np, run at 2.85 (316x9) with 1.55v daily though :D

Eulogy said:
I was hoping to clock it to 2.4ghz for stable 24/7 usage, has anyone else had experience clocking this cpu on a similar setup? if so what settings did you go with?

EDIT - also what sort of temps should i be looking at? whats a safe vcore to stay under?

temp depends on what cooler you gonne use :) I would try to keep it under 45C (the lower the better) and around 1.55-1.58v max for daily use ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to get my opty 144 to post at just shy of 3ghz, was scared of putting more than 1.48 volts through it though! Whats safe for a quick benchmark session? I have none of the above steppings btw :confused:

Associate
Soul Rider said:

?? Mine is CAB2E and i get 2.7Ghz out of it on stock cooling, stock volts, 42C max under load and using crappy crucial value pc2700 memory which is the only thing holding me back from going higher. Hardly a Cabbage ;)

Soldato
OP
I can't get mine above 2.16ghz without sacrificing the memory speed too much. PC3200 mem running on a divider of 333mhz at 240FSB gives me 2.16ghz on the clock and 200mhz on the memory, but to go higher I need to underclock the mem to a 266mhz divider, which means I need to hit 300fsb in order to run the ram at 200mhz again and

Soldato
Zephyrus said:
?? Mine is CAB2E and i get 2.7Ghz out of it on stock cooling, stock volts, 42C max under load and using crappy crucial value pc2700 memory which is the only thing holding me back from going higher. Hardly a Cabbage ;)
read previous thread a few up from ns400r the "cabbages" are the CABGE's ;)

mike306dt 1.55 should be safe for full time running, 1.6 ok for a benchy, just keep an eye on the cpu temp ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
mp260767 said:
read previous thread a few up from ns400r the "cabbages" are the CABGE's ;)

mike306dt 1.55 should be safe for full time running, 1.6 ok for a benchy, just keep an eye on the cpu temp ;)

Cheers for the reply, and sorry for the thread hijack ;) At 2.82ghz it runs at 27degrees Idle and 33 or so loaded. (currently running at 225fsb with ram sync'd - suprised me as I thought this golden dragon wasn't that great)

Soldato
goreblast said:
My Opti 144 seems to need more volts than most to work. Running 24/7 at 2.6 with 1.67 volts! Bench stable at 2.8 and can do screenshots at 3.0 with 1.84V!!!
unless u're water cooling etc i'd lower the volts to 1.55-1.6 and run it at the best speed u can get from that.

Associate
Eulogy said:
Now i'm no stranger to overclocking with this board but I am a little short on time within which to do it, and I want to test it with Prime or some such program overnight so want to get it clocked soon.

If your no stranger to overclocking then surely you dont need our advise to hit 2.4Ghz and Prime Stable it and if your short on time then why bother wasting the time you have and posting here? :p ;) Get on the job and get it stable for your brother! Chop Chop! ;)

Soldato
goreblast said:
My Opti 144 seems to need more volts than most to work. Running 24/7 at 2.6 with 1.67 volts! Bench stable at 2.8 and can do screenshots at 3.0 with 1.84V!!!

Whats your stepping out of interest? What board have you got also that will run at 333fsb?

Back
Top Bottom