Internet stalling - USB modem problem??

Soldato
My girl friend has a computer I got for nothing from work, it's a 700Mhz Intel Celeron, ok so it's not the fastest thing in the world but it does everything she needs.

She has broadband provided by Wanadoo, using a Speedtouch C330 USB modem.

This was installed on an even older computer that I loaned her and was working fine, however on this computer it keeps freezing.

One minute it is working fine and is nice and quickly but then it’ll just stop and do nothing for anything up to about a minute then it’ll start working fine again.

I’ve tried to find info about this problem on the Speedtouch website and the wanadoo help section but haven’t found anything.

I’ve installed the latest drivers for the modem but it hasn’t made any difference.

I did see some reference to their being some kind of USB related issue when the modem is used on a computer with certain Bios’s or something but it didn’t mean a lot to me.

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this freezing???

Valve

Associate
Freezing usually indicates Bad drivers somewhere, if it's not the modem ones then it's probably her USB dirvers. Try updating those.

Does it freeze when not browsing the web?

Soldato
OP
Do you mean does the computer freeze, or the internet connection?

The computer runs fine for everything except this problem on the net.

The computer is running Windows 98SE, and I've got all the updates from microsoft, how can I update the USB drivers? Would it be via new motherboard drivers or something like that???

Valve

Associate
you should be able to DL new USB drivers from the mobo manufacturer. but tbh i think your issues are with windows 98. 2000/XP are far nicer to network with. 98 isn't natively a networking OS, they had NT4 for that.

Soldato
OP
thing is I don't think the computer is gonna be quick enough to run XP, so I'm kinda stuck with 98, is there anything can do to improve the USB performance, other than the mother board drivers which I shall look into over the weekend???

Thanks for your help

Valve

Soldato
valve90210 said:
thing is I don't think the computer is gonna be quick enough to run XP, so I'm kinda stuck with 98, is there anything can do to improve the USB performance, other than the mother board drivers which I shall look into over the weekend???

Thanks for your help

Valve

Her specs should be fine to run xp on i used to run it on a celeron 500mhz/192mb sdram/everything else onboard with no problems in most cases it was a lot better than windows 9x.

Associate
Her specs should be fine to run xp on i used to run it on a celeron 500mhz/192mb sdram/everything else onboard with no problems in most cases it was a lot better than windows 9x.
Hmm, considering XP eats up 128MB of that 192 you don't have much room left for apps.
500Mhz..........i take it you haven't used a P4 xp rig yet? :p
The "official" min spec for XP home is:

* Min hard drive space
* 1.5 GB

* Min processor type
* Intel Pentium 233 MHz

* Min RAM size
* 64 MB

* Peripheral / Interface devices
* CD-ROM, SVGA monitor, Mouse or compatible device
But practically i wouldn't dream of running on less than 800Mhz 256MB. Infact i wouldn't get home, i'd go 1GHz 512Mb and use XP pro.
on a system with surplus Ram 128 disapears into XP any less than 256 and you'll get hardcore disk thrashing that is slow and wears your HD out

Soldato
Skilldibop said:
Hmm, considering XP eats up 128MB of that 192 you don't have much room left for apps.
500Mhz..........i take it you haven't used a P4 xp rig yet? :p

I see your point & it was kinda slow but not impossible to work on imo, I have a p4 rig & use xp :)

Back
Top Bottom