i-Mate SP5 and Skype

Associate
I just bought an i-Mate SP5 and after a bit of mucking about (antivirus definitions not downloading, setting up WiFi), I'm very happy with it. Although it wasn't really a reason for buying, I thought using Skype on it over WiFi would be a big bonus but I've just downloaded the mobile version, tried to install it but to no avail - got a message saying the software isn't intended for this phone.

Admittedly, the version I downloaded did say Pocket PC, although it seemed to suggest it would work on most Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. So, my question is, is there a version of Skype that will run on smartphone?

Soldato
thor said:
I just bought an i-Mate SP5 and after a bit of mucking about (antivirus definitions not downloading, setting up WiFi), I'm very happy with it. Although it wasn't really a reason for buying, I thought using Skype on it over WiFi would be a big bonus but I've just downloaded the mobile version, tried to install it but to no avail - got a message saying the software isn't intended for this phone.

Admittedly, the version I downloaded did say Pocket PC, although it seemed to suggest it would work on most Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. So, my question is, is there a version of Skype that will run on smartphone?
To answer a question that it sounded like you were asking implicitly, Pocket PC software won't run on Smartphones.

Soldato
Stringy said:
To answer a question that it sounded like you were asking implicitly, Pocket PC software won't run on Smartphones.

But it will run on smart phones running the pocket PC OS :). Microsoft has two derivatives of the OS, ie the original pocket pc one with the phone dialing stuff added on plus a cut down version for smaller devices. Bit confusing now it seems as they have started using the mobile term in the latest release.

Associate
I have Skype for Pocket PC running on my MDA Compct II (Running Windows Mobile 5.0) with a WiFi SD card.
Read a lot about people having problems with it, but mines fine.

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
But it will run on smart phones running the pocket PC OS :). Microsoft has two derivatives of the OS, ie the original pocket pc one with the phone dialing stuff added on plus a cut down version for smaller devices. Bit confusing now it seems as they have started using the mobile term in the latest release.
I thought there was "Windows Mobile for Smartphones" and "Windows Mobile for Pocket PC" and that the latter was never regarded as a smartphone (not if you're using the correct lingo). He's trying to use something intended for "Pocket PC" (eg I-Mate Jam, SPV M500 etc) on a "Smartphone" (eg I-Mate SP5)

Back
Top Bottom