Which protein/energy drink?

Associate
Hi,

Firstly, I am not completely sure whether protein/energy drinks are the same thing, but they appear to me at least to be used interchangably. If they are not the same please correct me.

Anyway, what I am looking for is a drink which I can have after a session in the gym to help recovery and boost results, so would be greatful for any recommendations. Something that tasted nice would be good :)

Cheers,

John

Soldato
They are not the same... I assume what you mean by Energy drinks are things GatorAde/Lucozade and those sort of things?

For Protein shake I'd recommend Reflex Instant Whey or Sports Nutrition Whey

Associate
OP
Am I likely to see any benefit of these protein shakes if I was just to have one after a workout 3 to 4 times a week? I see that they recommend taking them 2-3 times a day and rejigging you whole diet, which at this point in time I have neither the time or inclination to do.

Soldato
nero120 said:
Anyone know if Reflex Instant Whey vanilla actually tastes like vanilla? Also, where is the best place to buy it?

It never used to... but the formula has changed a little i think so you'll need a second opinion.

With water it was horrible, with milk it was quite nice but still didn't quite taste like vanilla.

As for where to buy... I always used Affordable Supplements or Monster Supplements

Soldato
I make my own, I don't know if its any good but at least its cheaper.

Consists of:

1/2 pint of milk,
sachet of nestle build-up (strawberry)
50g of ground almonds,
1 or 2 eggs,
some peanut butter.

I did put some oatmeal in but it doesn't blend too well and it ends up as a meal instead of a drink.

Soldato
Smit said:
It never used to... but the formula has changed a little i think so you'll need a second opinion.

With water it was horrible, with milk it was quite nice but still didn't quite taste like vanilla.

As for where to buy... I always used Affordable Supplements or Monster Supplements

Cool thanks. Though what about vanilla reflex instant whey with milk and some strawberry flavour nesquick? Would that be acceptable to the taste buds?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you want something that tastes nice pop down Esso and get a bottle of Frijj, protein shakes are meant to serve a purpose not taste nice, I'd be wary of anything that tasted too good - having said that the Reflex stuff is quite pleasant, blueberry tastes like hubba bubba.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
If you want something that tastes nice pop down Esso and get a bottle of Frijj, protein shakes are meant to serve a purpose not taste nice, I'd be wary of anything that tasted too good - having said that the Reflex stuff is quite pleasant, blueberry tastes like hubba bubba.

What purpose does it serve if I puke up the cack-tasting mixture after trying to drink it? I think we can have this conversation without going to extremes, can't we? Im just a pretty fussy eater and I dont want to spend loads on the stuff it its obvious I wont want or be able to keep it down.

Besides that, I like hubba bubba so I'll look into blueberry ;)

Caporegime
Goatboy said:
I've just started using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and that just tastes like chocolate milk and can be mixed with a spoon. The previous stuff I used, Weider Muscle Builder, was expensive but it's thicker and has to be mixed with a blender but tastes just like a Frijj milkshake imo.

Associate
OP
Am I likely to see any benefit of these protein shakes if I was just to have one after a workout 3 to 4 times a week? I see that they recommend taking them 2-3 times a day and rejigging you whole diet, which at this point in time I have neither the time or inclination to do.

Bump

Soldato
It's probable you will see a benefit. As long as your protein intake is sufficient through the rest of the week getting a little bit extra in after a workout isn't going to hurt at all. They aren't a medicine that need to be taken at specific times they are just a convenient tool for upping your protein when you don't have access to/ time for other sources.

Back
Top Bottom