Belinea 102035W

Associate
scousegit said:
i would ask for a refund now mate, under the DS act, this way ocuk cant mess you around.

I asked ocuk for a duplicate receipt so i could pass this onto maxdata. Ocuk did not send me the duplicate even tho they said they did, I had to find my original and fax this onto maxdata, I have had 4 of these monitors and all have had backlight bleedin comming from the corners.

Im thinking of going for the F-20 Acer Ferrari Monitor now. Want a bit of style ;)

Yeah scousegit, I ve been going through this thread and know it didnt work for you... I wouldnt mind a backlight bleed as in the pics that craignut posted, I think its worth giving it another chance as there are no real alternatives at this price (the acer is much more expensive). I dont think that the bleed can be any worse than what I have! I have 7 working days to notify ocuk (starting from tomorrow) and send back the monitor for a refund, so I dont believe there will be any trouble with that...

Associate
that looks awful mazetas, hopefully the replacements a better one.
been interested in this monitor but with this backlight bleed problem i'm not so sure.
is it 50-50 chance, bad batch ?

Associate
From what I ve been reading there is some amount of backlight bleeding in all of them, I am just hoping that the replacement will be a bit better... Its a shame really because the image quality is good and after using a widescreen monitor I dont really want to go back to a standard 4:3 format. I am not sure if I can ask the guys at belinea to somehow test the monitor before they send it?

BTW I tried the scaling option and it works OK for ATI cards - I played NFS:most wanted and COD2 in 1280x1024 with black borders on the sides. And I am only using a 9500Pro/9700 so it must work fine with the newer cards ("Raymond Lin" was asking if the scaling will work with his x850 in a previous page...)

For the people who had serious backlight bleeding as well, my monitor was manufactured on 20-11-2005 - if that means anything!

Associate
mine has arrived, its great.

been using CRT's all my life, this is my first TFT, it may be that i just dont know what i'm looking for, but i see very little/no ghosting, and although its there, there is no serious backlight bleed unlike some people in this thread (you fella's got me scared!) Its production of black is definately a large step back from my CRT's.

WS....Widescreen is lovely, bf2 is amazing, and its so nice having so much room to work with (seems loads bigger than the dell 19" tft's that they have at the lab at college)

no dead pixels (that i can see/notice)

build quality is ok, although i dont have much experience with other TFTs, ofcourse it seems flimsy compared to my CRT :p

(*thinks what else you buffs talk about*)

so, all in all, great monitor so far! (glad i dont have to send it back!)

oh yer! something no-one has mentioned, the speakers, they are actually more useful than i thought, my amp is broken, so they are filling in while i wait for a new one (and bank account to get a few more pennys). the sound really isnt as bad as i thought at reasonable volumes.

(sorry to drag on, hope its useful to someone)

Associate
Hi,

I too just recieved my one today, and i must say so far i'm quite impressed.
No dead pixels.

Gonna test it later with some games, and doom 3 for backlight bleeding.

But so far i'm happy :D

Associate
Good to hear that you have no problems with yours. I am getting the replacement today and I hope everything will be fine. I have to say that the customer support of maxdata is super! They are swaping my monitor with a new one shipped from Germany.

I guess the monitor was defective as just before I pack it I noticed other problems too. Firstly, when scrolling down fast the text in the topmost line of the page was blurred. And the most weird was when working in excel, an enire column of cells was covered by grey flashing boxes! I tried to minimize the window, change the screen resolution but those gray boxes remained there!

I have to say that I was impressed by the size of the monitor and watching movies on it was so much better than on my old 17" screen. I love widescreen and will never go back to a standard 4:3 monitor. I hope the new one will arrive with no probs.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Its great how this monitor still amazes anyone who see's it and its OcUK's best selling monitor. :)

Are there any other Belinea monitors people would like to see on the OcUK site as they have quite a decent large range?

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

Gibbo said:
Hi there

Its great how this monitor still amazes anyone who see's it and its OcUK's best selling monitor. :)

Are there any other Belinea monitors people would like to see on the OcUK site as they have quite a decent large range?

I'd be interested to see how much you could get the 20 inch non-widescreen model (Belinea 10 20 15) for. If I remember correctly the only 2 non-widescreen 20" displays you have are a fair bit more expensive that what I'd imagine this screen would cost.
Maybe everyone is buying widescreen though, I'm still not sure.

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

oh, this screen....I believe that the width of the viewing area is about 43cm, could someone please confirm this and also tell me the height (I could do the maths but I want to check ;) ). Thanks in advance.

Associate
roughly 44cm * 27cm viewing area.

Maybe everyone is buying widescreen though, I'm still not sure.

if you ever game, or watch movies, its awesome, and for exel, etc. the only things that i've found it makes little differance to a non-ws is in word and browsing the web (as a lot of pages are designed for 1024*xxx

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

I've got to write a big phd thesis soon, and using word is going to be important. I'm not 100% sure about the height of the screen.

I remember seeing a photo of someone with two pages in word side by side, maybe that can be done (not in print preview mode).

But I am a gamer, and I do watch movies..... so I'm just not sure.

Soldato
Mine arrived this afternoon, no dead pixels but it seems a bit grainy through DVI and there's obvious backlight bleeding on both D-Sub and DVI even if I take the brightness right down :(

Soldato
breamster said:
I had that same problem.

I have since installed the latest graphics drivers and everything seems fine now.

Really impressed with it.

I'm using the latest catalyst drivers, the brightness control is set to 0 (screen looks exactly the same at 100 brightness as it does at 0) and I've tried it using a DVI cable and D-Sub, looks like a spotlight shining in from each corner, very disappointed and I'll be damned if I'm paying to return it, Belinea can send someone out with a replacement.

Associate
I got my replacement today and its worse than the first monitor. Not only is there more backlight bleeding but theres also a white line extending from the left bottom corner to the center of the screen. And the small plastic holder that is used to keep the cables tidy was broken and placed inside the back cover of the monitor... Will OcUK give me a refund if I be honest and return it broken? I guess I ll use super glue...

I cant see any obvious alternatives for a 20" widescreen at the range of £300-400. If you have a look at hardware.fr (I dont speak french myself so I used bablefish) theres a thread of over 60 pages and people do seem to have trouble with the monitor, other than the backlight issue. People reported having flashing gray vertical lines as I noticed on my previous monitor. And heres another worrying example (sorry in advance for the bad translation but I hope you get the idea):

"Problem of the jerks (the return of the VSYNC which kills):
One noticed that in 60hz the vidéos and the plays had regular jerks approximately every 2 seconds, in VGA and DVI what is very unpleasant. One initially believed in a problem on the PC, but however all was connecting well a CRT in the place of the LCD.
Then one made tests with a tool called "Juddertest". This utility posts vertical bars which move right through on the screen. It changes the position of the bars to each signal of synchro vertical (the VSYNC) of the video chart. One can vary this frequency by regulating the refresh misses with the tool "powerstrip" (for example 60, 75, 72, or 62.5, etc...)
Normally one must see whole bars moving at a regular speed, but here what one saw on the belinea:
- 58hz: whole bars, regular jerk twice a second approximately
- 59.5hz: whole bars, almost not of jerk (from time to time only)
- 60hz: whole bars, regular jerk every 2 seconds approximately
- 61hz: bars cut out in bottom, regular jerk twice a second approximately
- 62hz: bars more cut out even, even more jerks
- 75 Hz: bars cut out in small pieces, jerks permanently

First observation: when one exceeds some refresh misses, the bars cut out. Does Ca want to say what? Ben that the screen at a certain vertical frequency interns (let us say X) who is close to 60hz. When X is exceeded, the screen receives a new image, whereas it did not finish yet posting to it preceding --> or the tears

Second observation: the frequency of the jerks has a relationship with a centre frequency X close to 59.5hz.

The explanation as of the these phenomena is sadly simple. This monitor does not lock its vertical frequency on that of your PC like does it any other monitor.
In fact it has two stages:
- a stage which controls the flagstone LCD and which has a frequency interns near to 60hz (approximately 59.5hz for mine but surely another thing for the votres)
- a stage of entry which receives the card images video and which him is fixed on the frequency required by the video chart.

As the two stages are never at the same frequency, it is IMPOSSIBLE for this screen to post fluid animations. It is an inexcusable fault of design of engineers de Maxdata (grrrr...).

Thus approximately:
- Impossible to exploit any frequency higher than famous "X", therefore exit the 70hz, the 72hz, and the 75hz
- Impossible to play under good conditions some is the frequency of cooling chosen, because there will be always jerks, unless finding "X" what is in any event unfeasible in practice."

I am dissapointed and sending back the monitor for a refund. Didnt expect so poor quality for £350. Overall I cannot recommend the monitor. Ah I feel I want to cry... :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom