DFI Expert cold boot issue

Associate
This motherboard is amazing when its up and running, I've got my 4400 x2 running at 2.9ghz. There is a but however...

When tweaking this little gem it will freeze if I've not got enough juice going through the cpu, fair enough, so I reboot and were in business again. On occasion it will hang and won't be able to boot again for what I've found to be around 7 - 8 hours. Nothing happens when I press the power switch! The amber light just stays lit to tell me the mobo has power. Anyone got any suggestions as to what is going on?

There seems to be a few threads on other forums about similar issues but no resolve.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried powering down completely, by that I mean unplugging it completely first, then switching it on again? Perhaps draining the board of power may help on reboot.

Associate
Maybe this is related to the "known" security/protection feature the DFI board has on it. Apparnelty turning the PC off then trying to reboot causes it to go into a protection mode for a while - you have to let the power drain out of the board before starting up again (if you're using a high-powered PSU, which I'm guessing most with this board are doing).

So this can mean leaving it (with the PSU turned off) for 5-10minutes before trying to start it up again.

Hoping this board isn't useless, I bought one last weekend, ordering the rest of the parts tonight! hehe

Edit: I'll see if I can rememebr where I saw this info (DFI site maybe, hmm) and post the link.

Last edited:
Associate
I had this issue on my first Expert board...i've just picked up another and it does NOT have this cold boot PITA problem.....
For the first board, every time i shutdown the system, i have to switch off the mains power from the psu switch and turn back on prior to startup again.....this works every time.
My 2nd Expert board boots as normal.....
NOW...the interesting thing is the first board is a, RAA0 revision and the 2nd board is an RA02 revision.....the revision number is on a sticker on the pci slot.
Not sure if this is significant or not !!

Associate
OP
I've tried unplugging the power, cmos clear, take battery out, purge capacitors by pressing the power switch, replace battery... nothing works apart from leaving it off with the cmos clear jumper on.

The caps seem fine, no high pitched leaking sound.

Oh what you know the revision of my board is R.AA0 as well :(

I've tried crucial ballistix pc4000 that works fine when it decides to boot but it doesn't like my Corsair TwinX pc4400, only one stick will work.

Really annoyed with DFI, do u think they would reconsider the RMA?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This heap of **** is driving me nutts. Boots fine one minute then not the next ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Looks like I'll have to wait another 8 hours for it to boot, it may just get chucked out the window and get driven over repeatedly.

Soldato
Andrew665 said:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Have a break, have a Kit-Kat!

I can totally understand your frustration but you not gonna solve anything in your current state.

There is normally a simple answer to these problems, you just gotta be cool and work it out.

In the worst case scenario you may actually have a duff piece of hardware that needs to be rma'ed, it happens to us all :(

Sort yourself out and when you feel refreshed and composed again resume the trouble-shooting, good luck!

Associate
I would RMA that sucker ..... Get one that works out of the box.....I have not changed my psu and this 2nd board is running fine...actually clocks better as well!!

Associate
Bummer :(

I bought a DFI Expert last weekend. Not got it plugged in yet as I've just ordered the rest of the equipment (arrives sometime tomorrow hopefully).

Just checked the revision number... R.AA0 :( Dang, well I guess I'll just have to hope that it works fine, otherwise it'll have to go back to the store/through RMA me thinks.

Associate
OP
All I wanted to do was play some NFS Mostwanted, sigh....

Looks like its movie night on my 8 foot widescreen in the livingroom, after I've finished this RMA request for the second time.

Thankfully shuttles are reliable and stable.

Soldato
Bito said:
I would RMA that sucker .....
Lol thats one way of putting it :) To anyone who doesn't speak rantgeek I think that means

"I think you should contact OC.co.uk and kindly ask them for a replacement!"

In 9/10 examples of people *RMa'ing the Sucker* there is not a problem with the thing they are sendng back, its just because they have built the system incorrectly. . .

Anyone once you get you new *Sucker* back you may actually find it works perfect or more than likely you will face the same issues. . .nothing like getting caught up in a 3 month RMA cycle to relieve the stress. . oh well :)

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
Lol thats one way of putting it :) To anyone who doesn't speak rantgeek I think that means

"I think you should contact OC.co.uk and kindly ask them for a replacement!"

In 9/10 examples of people *RMa'ing the Sucker* there is not a problem with the thing they are sendng back, its just because they have built the system incorrectly. . .

Anyone once you get you new *Sucker* back you may actually find it works perfect or more than likely you will face the same issues. . .nothing like getting caught up in a 3 month RMA cycle to relieve the stress. . oh well :)

yeh what about the experience users on extremesystems org, if you look @ a few of the posts on there there seems to be something changed on the board since the 2 revsions, no board on the market should take 8hours for to be able to power back on, seems this is a fault on the 1st revsions and DFI are just telling bul**** that its some kind of protection built into the circuit
i would just send it back and make sure you get the revsion Bito mentioned
if not, i would personaly sue DFI for selling faulty goods.

Associate
I can only go by my experiences with the two boards i have.....if you want to keep your board and live with the 'issues' that is up to the individual.....i could not put up with it.
Also, i have been overclocking for a LONG time....my NF4 SLI-D never had any of these problems with the same peripherals, so it IS so obviously a board problem.

Associate
yeh bito if i paid that money for a board, i expect it work with all hardware on market its crap when dfi says you need that power supply dont use that component its just a way to deceive you, because they no its faulty.

Back
Top Bottom