oil change

Associate
im going too change the oil in my 1.25 zetec fiesta v reg how much oil does it take 4ltr or 5ltr my ford service guide says 4ltr but the guy @ ford says put the whole 5ltr in.

Soldato
Don't overfill and don't underfill.

I would put in 4l.

Go and have a cup of tea and watch the news for 30mins.

Dip it, probably will need to add a bit more.

Run the engine for 5mins.

Have another cup of tea and watch the same news stories.

Dip it again and you may need to add a little more or may not.

Then after a few days driving dip it again just to double check :)

That's my method anyway. I then dip the oil and check all the fluids when I give it a wash. So about once a week/fortnight.

Last time I was at Ford their oil was dead cheap, £13iirc for 5l of motorcraft 5W30.

Also worth getting a new sump plug and washer for about £1.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I just put what it said to in the haynes manual, left it five minutes. Checked it, drove round the block a few times then checked again. Was just about right. If in doubt use the haynes :D

Oh and I re-used the sump plug washer too the last two times I changed the oil and it didn't make a difference - still doesn't leak.

Associate
OP
another question do u have to put oil in the filter before u put it back in the car.some say u do some say u don't. i know i sound dumb but better safe than sorry. my oil and filter cost me £15 for both from ford my birds mate's old man works for them so i got it on staff discount

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I just rammed the filter in after I'd drained the old stuff out, then topped it up. It's reccomended you rub some fresh oil round the rubber seal of the filter to ensure it doesn't leak but thats about it I think.

Soldato
Prime the filter? Are you just meaning rub oil around the seal and not fill it with oil? Why on earth do they need priming? My oil filter would be impossible to fill and then put on!

Last edited:
Permabanned
yes just rub some oil around the seal to keep it leak free and stop the seal melting to the sump. helps if you oil the thread of the mount too, mostly both these just save time on the next oilchange, although i do it every 4k lol

Caporegime
Mike306dt said:
Prime the filter? Are you just meaning rub oil around the seal and not fill it with oil? Why on earth do they need priming? My oil filter would be impossible to fill and then put on!

Some filters dont need to be tipped too fit, its a good idea to fill them first if this is the case, then remove king lead from the coil and crank for 20seconds to make sure the oil gets around the engine before you actually start it

Soldato
I can see it being a good idea with your car. We did that on a RS turbo that we rebuilt. However its a little more difficult to do even that with my dt.

Back
Top Bottom