Rugby Rules Question – What do you think?

Soldato
Ok guys this one is a little involved but give me your opinion on what the ruling should be.

Team A kicks the ball for touch.

Player B of Team B catches the ball cleanly before it bounces. One foot is firmly in the field of play the other is firmly out of the field of play. Is it:

Team A’s line out as Player B took the ball out of play.

Team B’s line out because Player B was out of play and so by touching him the ball is out of play and Team A kicked it.

I intend to ask a trained rugby referee as soon as possible but would welcome peoples opinions and arguments. I have my own opinion and will share it after a few responses if I get any.

Man of Honour
I take it this is gay rugby and not League?

The ball isn't out until it hits the ground and can be caught out of play as long as the player isn't out of touch, so I'd go with option 1. The ball was only out of play when the player touched it.

Associate
Lol. Funny how you call it the gay rugby and Leeds are bottom of the table. :p

I agree though rugby league is far more entertaining. Faster paced, bigger hits, and so much better to watch especially when great teams like Bradford are in full flow :)

As for the question. I'd say option 1.

Soldato
Team A's line out if it was real rugby, not sure about that run forward and fall over malarkey they play near scotland.

tis simple the ball was in play, the team B player caused the ball to be out of play by effectively carrying it in to touch, as he caught the ball while in touch, the ball was legal and in play until player b caught it therefore Kicking team's lineout.

Soldato
OP
Now this is where I disagree. In rugby union if you are on or over the line you are out of play. The ball is not out of play until it touches something out of play, flag line, ground or a player. So I reckon if you are out of play and the ball touches you it becomes out of play. If you are out of play you can't have taken it out because you were never in play.

I would need to check the rules carefully but I'd be interested in what a referee who had just read the rules thought.

Soldato
PlacidCasual said:
Now this is where I disagree. In rugby union if you are on or over the line you are out of play. The ball is not out of play until it touches something out of play, flag line, ground or a player. So I reckon if you are out of play and the ball touches you it becomes out of play. If you are out of play you can't have taken it out because you were never in play.

I would need to check the rules carefully but I'd be interested in what a referee who had just read the rules thought.

that would work if the player from team b was fully in touch but with one foot in and one foot out, he is deemed to have carried the ball into touch.

alx

alx

Soldato
Cookie-Monster said:
that would work if the player from team b was fully in touch but with one foot in and one foot out, he is deemed to have carried the ball into touch.

Agreed.

Team A's lineout if the ball had not crossed the line before the player caught it, if the ball had crossed the line then Team B's lineout.

As far as I know the ball can be over the line but if it hasn't touched anything out of play (eg player, ground) then it's not out of play and the game can carry on. So you can catch a ball in mid air if it's 'over the line' as long as your in play.

rmt

rmt

Associate
If the ball has crossed the line already, then it is team B's lineout.

On the league-union debate, I get the pleasure to play both, and both have their merits. Although league does feel a bit too much like british bulldog to me.

Despite this, people will always argue which is the worse code or 'gay' as some forum members would like ;)

Soldato
rmt said:
If the ball has crossed the line already, then it is team B's lineout.

No, if it is over the line and in the air then that is fine, it is when it directly or indirectly is grounded over the line then it is out of play, so if the player is fully in field and catches a ball that is in the air but over the line then the ball is not in touch, very similar rules to basketball in this manner.

Back
Top Bottom