SG-1 The Alliance now officially cancelled

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
"could have been awesome" yes, however looking at it I'm pretty glad it was canned. Looks like it was going to be bad.

Hopefully someone else can give it a propper go...

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Glad its been canned, love sg universe and fps games don't want some crappy game spoiling my fun.

Soldato
I was looking forward to running down the halls of the SGC with a P90 but as said it did look carp. I rekon if the show ends after series 10 and the movie goes ahead they might make a game in conjunction or something like that.

On a better note Stargate figures in the summer. :D

Hitman
Permabanned
I really don't think it would have made a good game anyway. Hopefully the people who were threated with lawsuits over their mods can now start up again since there was so much work put into them.

Permabanned
As a massive Stargate fan, and self confesed Stargate geek, I alway's hoped that this particular game would get canned. It just didn't look good enough to warrant the the title of 'Stargate'.

Let's hope that someone actually manages to pull off a cross of 'FEAR', 'FarCry', Battlefield 2' and 'Half Life 2' but in the Stargate universe. I mentioned BF 2 because you get to pilot vehicles and I can think of nothing better than attacking a Ha'tak with a squadron of X-302's!

Associate
Ive always thouight stargate would make a great Stratagy-fps/Management game

You have two parts, the SGC where you manage your finance, SG teams & where they go and what they do there, personal, weapons and gadgets, base building. I guess kind of like "evil genius" style but better :)

And offworld where you control the team directly, where you have a map (which could be generated from a UAV probe sent thru the gate earlier in the SGC mode, of course if you have the finance and equipment to send it) and would then explore and see if theres anything of value (tech wise) or do your assigned mission (Blowing up gould (sp?) stuff, infiltrating a base, planting bombs on mother ships etc.).
Maybe a flashpoint/ghost recon style approach would be good for this.

I love Stargate :) But from the screens you could tell that this game wasnt going to be very pretty/good

Soldato
OP
Nieldo said:

You have two parts, the SGC where you manage your finance, SG teams & where they go and what they do there, personal, weapons and gadgets, base building. I guess kind of like "evil genius" style but better :)

And offworld where you control the team directly, where you have a map (which could be generated from a UAV probe sent thru the gate earlier in the SGC mode, of course if you have the finance and equipment to send it) and would then explore and see if theres anything of value (tech wise) or do your assigned mission (Blowing up gould (sp?) stuff, infiltrating a base, planting bombs on mother ships etc.).
That sounds really good :) Sort of a cross between X-COM and Far Cry is the way I imagine that.

Why don't MGM hire a _good_ game developer with a proven track record to develop this game? They could spend 2 or 3 years developing it and then release it alongside a SG movie sometime in the future. It really is pocket change to somebody like MGM. But it'll give massive returns, especially if its good enough to earn a sequel game.

From what I've seen they should use the Crysis engine. That looks awesome. I don't think any engine developer does dense jungle better than Crytek do.

Soldato
Nieldo said:

I love Stargate :) But from the screens you could tell that this game wasnt going to be very pretty/good

sounds waay too complicated to be made ... plus finances ? "please mr president we need more money", i doubt setting up a couple of burger bars will really bring in enough income to run the sgc :D

ps. if they make a game it should definately be old school with the original team fighting the Goa'uld (looked that up on wikipedia but still dont like the sp)

Soldato
I think a stargate game could be great. Could be, but probably wouldn't be. I always thought it would make a good team based shooter/rpg. Each team member would have different skills. O'neill/new guy(forgot his name) would be an all-rounder in combat. Tealc would be good with heavy weapons, Carter would do all the techy stuff and Jackson would be needed to translate things and would be better at diplomacy.

Soldato
OP
Another approach would be to just make a regular FPS game. The story could be completely different from SG-1. For example it could start off in the Season 1 era and the guy you are controlling could be apart of say a SG-6 team or something. He gets seperated from his squad through being captured and placed in that prison planet with no Stargate (so no easy means to escape.) The whole game could be chapter after chapter of this guy trying to get back to Earth... hijacking ships, dense jungle, desert, being recaptured. Maybe the game could be set during the episode when the whole Stargate network goes down - so as to provide a reason why he cannot simply dial Earth. Or maybe he dials Earth but it is engaged (plenty of episode timeframes that could be used for that reason.)

There's so many possibilities for a SG game. Could think about it all day :p

Associate
I was looking forward to this game in away I guess, as I can't get enough of Star Gate :D

There is a good looking Star Gate Mod for Half Life 2 which is currently being made which looks very nice in some screen shoots

http://www.stargatetls.net/en/

It seems to be the same team which did a HL1 stargate mod I think which was pretty cool for its time with ring transporters and usable star gate hehe.

Soldato
WHAT!!! said:
I was looking forward to this game in away I guess, as I can't get enough of Star Gate :D

There is a good looking Star Gate Mod for Half Life 2 which is currently being made which looks very nice in some screen shoots

http://www.stargatetls.net/en/

It seems to be the same team which did a HL1 stargate mod I think which was pretty cool for its time with ring transporters and usable star gate hehe.

Happened with Far Cry, but the cretins at MGM shut it down.

Associate
One of the mods at this fansite visited the developers, Perception, yesterday and has just posted a gameplay review.

While the "review" is quite glowing it could largely be due to the reviewer's bias and interest in the game being released. It would also seem that the game is far from finished -- this combined with the title being dropped by it's initial publisher (JoWood) last year and now the licence holder (MGM) suggests that something is wrong, especially after considerable development time. Perhaps JoWood were right all along?

Still, I would hope that the above concerns are misplaced, as I was looking forward to a decent Stargate game. If the game eventually goes unpublished, I hope that MGM will allow some of the promising Mods to continue/restart.

Cheers,

BrynS

Back
Top Bottom