So who remembers populous

Soldato
I love Popuolous the beginning :)
Only thing I don't like as much is the the fact that the world is actually visibly round; I think it would have been better flat!

Would you like us retro gamers to start our own thread out of the way where we can remincise on stuff such as Railroad Tycoon and Alpha Centauri :D

-Leezer-

Suspended
I was sitting here trying to figure out how it came on The Sims cd and how he got it working on XP :p

The ORIGINAL populous I played on the Amiga - rocked.... but not as much as Cannon Fodder!

"War! Never been so much fun... WAR! never been so much fun... talk to your brother, kill him with a gun leave him in his uniform lieing in the sun.... WAR!" (lyrics to that affect anyway).

Associate
DEL 707 said:
I had megalomania on the mega drive, what a classic game, i can still remember shouts of "We've nuked them!" :D

I remember Populous as well, i got the demo from a magazine for my amiga, i went out the next weekend to buy it :)

OMG I didn't think anyone else would remember megalomania :) I had it on the Atari ST (whish I still had 1 :() and still recall the "Design is Ready" speech sample :D

Great screeny shows Gameplay > GFX!!

Soldato
Noxis said:
The ORIGINAL populous I played on the Amiga - rocked.... but not as much as Cannon Fodder!

"War! Never been so much fun... WAR! never been so much fun... talk to your brother, kill him with a gun leave him in his uniform lieing in the sun.... WAR!" (lyrics to that affect anyway).

Sensible software for the win! :D

Associate
Populus was a classic - Popoulus 2 was even better - with more disasters and options. I also enjoyed powermonger which was also a Peter Molyneux (Bulfrog) game. 1989 sounds about right, be about 14 or 15 at the time.

Populus 3 was a disappoinment.

Soldato
DEL 707 said:
I had megalomania on the mega drive, what a classic game, i can still remember shouts of "We've nuked them!" :D

mega1.png

I remember Populous as well, i got the demo from a magazine for my amiga, i went out the next weekend to buy it :)

I could never get that to work

Associate
You can get Sensible Soccer, Megelomania and Cannon Fodder in one of those retro tv joypad game packages for about £25. :D Although I think its the megadrive version of those games. :(

Suspended
I used to play populous on my Amiga 1200 when i was about 8 or 9. Great game. We really need a remake with more uptodate graphics, everything else can staythe same! :D

Ive also got the original Dune game on CD, tis great!

Soldato
Datamonkey said:
Populous, what a game, also who remembers warmongerer!!

Now that i loved!!

And megalowmania, was that its name? where you worked your way through various epoch's

Wasn't it Powermonger?

My bro had it on our Amiga 500. I thought it looked great, but at around 8 years old I sucked at it! Twas very difficult. Great game though. I loved slaughtering sheep and getting my men around the campfire!

Soldato
Goater666 said:
Anyone remember dune? that was a ******* brilliant game! :D
you need to fully star out swareies like that, even having words like the one you posted or the popular Farther Ted one are not alowed!

Man of Honour
I haven't played populous 2 for a good 10 years now, but I still remember the name/code of map 147.... VEERAG. Was a really fun level to play, as you get a whole host of powers at your disposal like volcano etc. Anyone who fires up pop2 again, give it a try :)

As for getting it running, you'll likely have trouble if you want MOUSE+SOUND+HIGH REZ/colour, as it needs a stupidly large amount of free conventional memory to run with sound and high resolution/colour, something like 625k :(

Back
Top Bottom